Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

GOTO upgrade

I'm contemplating upgrading my scope with a goto mount...my question would be is it worth doing or would I be better off waiting until I can afford a whole new set up????

As a compromise I am also thinking of buying a dual axis motor.

Just an RA motor would be good on that mount - but dual motors are more cost effective. Then wait till you can get a decent goto mount - your ota will still be useable on the new mount and you can sell the EQ3-2 with motors to offset the cost :)

Thanks Brantuk. Just so I have an idea (and some solid info to go the bank with...aka the wife!) how much would I be looking at for a decent goto mount and how much would I get for my mount with the dual axis motor?

Have to agree with BrantUK. The cost of the goto upgrade for the EQ2-3 is typically £300, whilst the EQ-5 goto mount is £450 (that's tripod, mount and the synscan system) . The dual axis drive is around £90 for the EQ3-2 mount, and would be the cheapest option to drive the scope, but then doesn't offer you a goto option. - The choice of upgrade path would be to PX (or sell) your EQ3-2 mount and purchase the EQ-5 goto for use with your 150P which would give a very stable platform. Or sell the 150P complete and upgrade to the 200P EQ-5 goto for £660, assuming you want to stick with EQ mounts

Hope that helps

Well the EQ5 Pro Goto is a smashing mount/tripod at £449 new from FLO. You might find one s/h under a year old for around £300-£350.

Can't find the price for just the EQ3-2 (except the deluxe one which is £158 new). I guess the none deluxe one must be around £100(ish). The motors are £91 for RA and DEC - say circa £200. So selling on up to a year old should get you around £120-£140 region in excellent nick.

Of course I'm making a lot of assumptions about your budget so I picked the logical next step up from what you have. Going s/h could give you a net cost of around £210 to upgrade to goto (£350 minus £140) or around £300 new.

But do treat my thoughts as approximations - it's bound to vary. Second hand gear in good condition and low age tends to get around 60%-70% of new prices. Hope that helps :)

I would guess so... but it does state that it's not the "pro" version, whatever the "pro" is

For upgrading the standard EQ5 to a GOTO mount

Available for easily upgrading the standard (non-PRO) mountings for computerised GO-TO capabilities. Kits comprise V.3 SynScanTM Flash Upgradeable GO-TO handset, 2 x Stepper Motors for DEC and R.A. Drives, Replacement Control Panel / Motor Board, Hand Control Cable, Cable Clamp and Hand Control Holder (12V D.C. Power Supply required - not supplied).

Personally I prefer to get something that's purpose built and complete rather than create via "add-ons". The EQ5's are a heavier and chunkier mount/tripod combination and the goto is all built in and engineered around the mount.

Adding tracking to a lighter mount is more of a convenience thing to avoid manual tracking, cheap and easy to do. Adding goto on top is expensive and not really worth it on an insubstantial mount. Better to get the purpose made thing. All just my humble opinion you understand lol :)

Archived