Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Registax error message

Hi

It's me again, hope you don't mind me using this excellent site but it is a great help to someone like me a newbie to imaging.

I have a problem with a error message, I used my Neximage on Saturn last night. Not a good seeing. I took 16 runs at it at various settings hopefully to get one good one. About 900 frames each. 10 fps at 10th to 20th sec exposure. Altering the Brightness and gain.

On processing some of them with Registax I got a error " Failed to decompress AVi frame" On some of the this happend at 100% alignment stage. What does it mean and how can I prevent it. It happened on what I thought would be the best takes, so I am disappointed.

HI

I have found out why I got the error message it is because Registax will only process up to 1 GB. Mine were over this level. Will I need to set it at higher than 10 fps or at a faster shutter to keep it low. I really wanted to shoot 1000 frames. Is this possible.

I think that depends on the quality of the seeing CC. 5fps definitely best if seeing good but if it isn't then 10fps will pick out more good frames. Robin, I didn't know registax had a 1 GB limit. If that's the case go for 5FPS as cc says however you should download virtual dub, load up the file and then save as "old avi" (under an alternative name). That has worked for me in the past

Thanks Guys I have downloaded Virtualdub and have found out how to delete some frames to reduce the MBs. so to Registax them. Can you briefly tell me what other features of Virtualdub which would be use to me other than deleting. Then I can try to get my head around them. It all seems so complicated to someone like me of the old school, so to speak.

The only thing I have used virtual dub for is manual frame selection. It is just so much more efficient that doing it with registax. There is a description of how to use it in the planetary imaging with a toucam primer in the learning zone

Virtualdub has other tricks up it's sleeve as well which I have used such as:-

Save the AVI as an image sequence - you can then play with Deep Sky Stacker on the frames.

Change the brightness of all the frames - helps DSS to find the stars sometimes.

Take frames and make an AVI - easy way to make animations ot shots taken over hours or minutes to see changes in lunar or solar images.

HTH

Captain Chaos

Another neat trick with Virtualdub is to use it to 'resample' the avi before you use Registax to align and stack. This is useful if you want to do high (or higher) resolution work with planetary imaging. In a nutshell you open the avi in Virtualdub, add a filter to resize the avi (1.5x or 2x, I usually use Lanczos), then save the resized avi. Then process the avi as normal in Registax witha final process of resizing back to normal size. This can supress a lot of the artifacts and noise you would get processing the image at normal size.

There are links for doing this around somewhere, I'll see if I can find them and post.

Tony

Archived