740427863_Terminatorchallenge.jpg.2f4cb93182b2ce715fac5aa75b0503c8.jpg

Celestron SkyScout Personal Planetarium

Has anyone got on of these ? If so are they any good?

I've never seen one for sale either on eBay or here and at £230 ish they arnt cheap .

I'd be interested in peoples thoughts as they are a lazy way of learning the constellations

They're very nice for a complete beginner and a useful way to learn the sky. Can be used as a finder scope in some instances. But the gps is very sensitive - overly so - and reacts near anything metal or electrical/magnetic. The accuracy starts playing up regularly and the batteries run out quick - really needs hooking up to a fild pack but then you're movement becomes restricted. An experienced amateur will soon find they know more than what's in the scout - perfect for kids new to the subject though.

That's how ours is at least :)

Edited by brantuk

• 1 year later...

hmm i was thinking of lashing one scyscout to the evostar 120 for finding stuff, i know its lazy but i have not been out since winter last year and learning the sky all over again, i was pretty good last year, but you have to keep your eye in. i am a bit useless at finding the good stuff, i use stellarium a lot!! oh and the setting circles on the mak but there a bit out....by a mile lol.

I agree with Brant. I had one but i soon became bored with it and sold it. For me another issue with it was that it offers no magnification, so it can be very hit and miss when locating and identifying objects.

Haha i just noticed the date on this thread.

Edited by LukeSkywatcher

They're very nice for a complete beginner and a useful way to learn the sky. Can be used as a finder scope in some instances. But the gps is very sensitive - overly so - and reacts near anything metal or electrical/magnetic. The accuracy starts playing up regularly and the batteries run out quick - really needs hooking up to a fild pack but then you're movement becomes restricted. An experienced amateur will soon find they know more than what's in the scout - perfect for kids new to the subject though.

That's how ours is at least :)

Hit the nail on the head there brantuk.

I had one of these when they first came out and it was ok as a total newbie. I outgrew it VERY quickly but it is perfect for my 6 year old to start learning the sky.

You are spot on regarding battery life and magnetic interferance as well... so unless you can get one really cheap it would be worth considering that there are smartphone aps that do a similar thing.