548140465_Animationchallenge.jpg.32379dfa6f3bf4bba537689690df680e.jpg

Hurrah, another convert

Ben Ritchie

11 year old daughter's been out in the garden with the TV76 since it went dark, still doesn't want to come in (apart from a flurry of excitement as she independently discovered M45 - "do I get to name it?" - and then M42). Currently busy exploring Auriga.

Best news of all is that she's announced that the stars are sharp in the middle of the eyepiece (24mm SWA) but not at the edges, so i'll bribe her to explain to mummy that I need an upgrade :)

I was out the other night with my 8yr old and he was looking at Sirius , really made his day when i told him that the light he was looking at left the star when he was born

Plus he can point out 3 constellations by himself ....... :)

I was out the other night with my 8yr old and he was looking at Sirius , really made his day when i told him that the light he was looking at left the star when he was born

Plus he can point out 3 constellations by himself ....... :)

:p - that's the sort of thing that really seems to catch their imagination. I've always loved the mythology of the sky, so have been out telling her stories of hunters, charioteers, the scorpion that is chasing Orion across the sky - need to wait for the summer for that one - and the daughters of Atlas and Pleione. Great stuff.

Her elder brother (now 12) is much more factual, and can happily explain the MK classification of stars but doesn't seem to have so much interest in looking at them.

Ahhh gotta love kids reactions to stargazing :) It was my son who got me into it, he has always had a fascination with the sky and has had a toy scope. Last xmas I got him a proper scope and to hear his gasps of awe makes it worth it.

Shame that the enthusiasm suddenly disappears when they discover teenage life.

Ahhh hopefully not for my son, he has told me he is going to invent the spaceship that takes people off the planet Earth to move onto another planet....and he's ADAMANT about that :(

Edited by Celeste

Another terrific evening, which has turned out to be unexpectedly clear - prompting my daughter to disappear outside again :(

I've swapped the RACI for a Baader SkySurfer V RDF which she finds much easier to use, so she's been hopping all over the sky. Castor was particularly fun, as she um'd and ah'd over it for a bit before realizing that it's a fairly tight binary. Only grumble is that she's not allowed to stay up long enough for Saturn to rise

My daughter is 2 1/2 and can recognise "the big dipper". Not in the sky, as yet, but certainly on paper. This is entirely thanks to Peppa Pig, or, more specifically, Peppa's granddad. She's also very taken with Stellarium. "Daddy, make stars on your computer!"

Absolutely marvellous to hear about youngsters getting the bug. I did when I was that age, about 9 or 10, but it took me another 20 years to get my first telescope. My own kids won't have to wait that long!

My daughter is 10 march 25th, got her first scope at Xmas after 4 months of constant requests. Determined to be an Astronomer as a full time job, even asked me took at which senior school in our area offers Astronomy at GCSE :(

Edited by Richard734