SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Another Saturn with the 127 Mak

bigal1

Hi all well i was lucky enough to get out again monday night and the conditions were a bit better than my previous attempts . Same setup as my last image which is a Skymax 127mm Mak , Spc900nc webcam a 2x barlow and an extention tube . Think i stacked around 2500 frames @10fps 1/25 shutter with full gain 60% brightness , 85 % saturation and no gamma .

Regards Alan

post-18835-133877542225_thumb.jpg

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's rather nice. I thought the seeing here was excellent last night. It would have been great to be sorted to do some imaging.

With the barlow and extension tube you've dropped the diagonal? Is it 1.25" all the way out of the back of the Mak?

James

That's rather nice. I thought the seeing here was excellent last night. It would have been great to be sorted to do some imaging.

With the barlow and extension tube you've dropped the diagonal? Is it 1.25" all the way out of the back of the Mak?

James

Hi James i used the extension tube in the barlow which was used with the diagonal in place .

Interesting that the extension is required for the webcam to achieve focus with the barlow. I shall have to experiment with mine. I've not actually tried using a barlow with the Mak at all.

James

Interesting that the extension is required for the webcam to achieve focus with the barlow. I shall have to experiment with mine. I've not actually tried using a barlow with the Mak at all.

James

The extension is used purley for extra magnification not to reach focus .

The extension is used purley for extra magnification not to reach focus .

Ahh. I didn't realise that was possible. I may be confused about the way barlows work, then.

That said, I'm not sure I can explain how I think they work sufficiently well that someone else might be tell me where I'm going wrong :)

James

Nice one Al thats pretty vibrant for such a small scope, all you guys with these small maks are doing well lately, but im amazed so much can be got at this apeture. I wonder what the big SW maks are capable of under good conditions, your camera settings look spot on BTW, nice imaging

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! Got my first look at Saturn with my Skymax 127 the other night - it was much smaller and less detailed viewed by eyes alone! Looks as if webcam astronomy is the future!

Cheers,

Key.

Interesting, I'd been doing just 90 seconds for fear of rotation blur (the tutorials I watched mentioned 90-120 seconds - though that was for Jupiter). I'm now confident I can get even better results next session, which I plan to try on Mercury as well. Just hoping the weather turns fair again no later than wednesday...

Archived