1825338873_SNRPN2021banner.jpg.68bf12c7791f26559c66cf7bce79fe3d.jpg

Power For Smartguider 2

Hi all,

I have just ordered a LVI Smartguider 2 and I'm wondering as to what is the best way to power this beauty? I have a Skywatcher Powertank so could I use this, but I believe it is better to use a seperate leisure battery and if so any recommendations would really be appreciated?

As an aside, if I go with a leisure battery are they charged with a normal car battery charger?

Many thanks,

Steve

Edited by steve2310

The power supply can have a wide tolerance 6 - 14Volts 110 m/A.

My unit is in an Obs. so I have a mains outlet into which I plug in a regulated switched voltage supply, set at 8 Volts.

Of course the Synguider will be used at Star Parties too, and I would be happy to use a 12volt battery. Your leisure battery can be charged with a self regulating battery charger.

Ron.

Thanks for your response and help. I think initially I might try and use the Powertank and then take it from there. Not sure what pitfalls people have come across powering both the mount and camera etc from the Powertank but I'm sure I'll find out!

Steve

Thanks for your response and help. I think initially I might try and use the Powertank and then take it from there. Not sure what pitfalls people have come across powering both the mount and camera etc from the Powertank but I'm sure I'll find out!

Steve

I can't envisage any problem supplying the mount and camera from the same source. If it is a 17 A/h battery in the Power tank, ensure it's fully charged, and beware if loading too many Dew strips into the supply. You will have a guidescope and main Imaging scope to protect from dew occasionally, and the guidestar may be lost if dew intervenes.

Ron.