Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello!

shortsdx2

Hi. Just thought I'd say "hello". I'm in the process of deciding on which first scope to buy and have already learnt A LOT from SGL (thanks everyone!).

As the scope will be used by myself (mainly) but also with my six-year-old daughter who is quite interested in the night sky, I'm struggling to choose between the SkyWatcher Heritage 130p (which I think will be easier for us to view things together with) and the SkyWatcher Explorer 130p (which given it is only £30 more seems better overall value with the EQ mount) while also salivating over the SkyScraper 130 SynScan GoTo (above my budget) and the 150p (which many people seem to suggest would be a better option given the greater light gathering potential).

Would love to know your thoughts / recommendations / alternatives.

Thanks.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Shorts and welcome to the forum.

I would echo Orion's comment above that Dobs are easier to use than equatorial. This also means that more money is going into the observing part of the equipment and not being wasted on a flimsy mount. I would go for the 150p if you can push the boat out a bit more as it does have better light gathering ability although it won't dramatically transform anything that you will see but it will help resolve a little more detail.

Clear skies on what ever decision you make!

James

First Light Optics sell a Skywatcher 'Skyliner' Dobsonian mounted 150P for £185.00. Hope that helps. By the way, there is no such thing as a silly question - I know because I have already asked them all:D:D:D

Keep the questions coming and clear skies!

James

hi shortsdx and familymy daughter loves are scopes she loves looking throu it and on the goto front ,she learned how to use before me, she can now set it up it was get in me pretty mad every night to start with

Archived