SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Best website for star maps?

Hi - I'm sure this has been covered on numerous occasions so apologies.

What is the best source for clear star maps for beginners? It is a clear night now and I'm seeing the 'plow' above my house and would like to get my bearings a bit more.

I want to find out what the bright star is that the handle points to in particular.

Sorry for the pre-school question :)

Thanks in advance - Andy

Some great reading there - thanks folks i'll have a good look through later. I must admit I struggled a bit getting orientated with stellarium so a location setting would be great.

Thanks,

If you have a look at the section, observing with bino`s, then under "bino`s observation links", you will find a free program called TUBA, downloading this will give you any star map you want which you can customise to own liking, then print off to take outside with you in one of those plastic document pockets, I found this very helpful as you could draw on the maps to plot your way to the target you wanted to find :)

John.

If you have a look at the section, observing with bino`s, then under "bino`s observation links", you will find a free program called TUBA, downloading this will give you any star map you want which you can customise to own liking, then print off to take outside with you in one of those plastic document pockets, I found this very helpful as you could draw on the maps to plot your way to the target you wanted to find :)

John.

Thanks for that info. As an Astronomy starter, and someone who currently only owns an old pair of bino's, thats very useful.

Cheers.

Hi Andy,

As a newbie myself I find a combination of Stellarium, Star Walk and Redshift give me all the information I need. Particularly when on the iPad.

Still struggling and being with others helps, but this way I get to learn by struggling myself!

Best regards

Chris

Thanks for all of the replies folks i've scanned all of the websites and saved to favourites for reference. :)

Hi Andy,

As a newbie myself I find a combination of Stellarium, Star Walk and Redshift give me all the information I need. Particularly when on the iPad.

Chris

My Mother owns an ipad (trendy Granny) and I have looked at Star Walk. Amazing software. I had forgotten about it to be honest but will be pinching it next time I visit her for a few hours in the garden if it's clear :p

Archived