Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

In from the cold.

Had a quick first light with my new telescope tonight. It was ok, not brilliant, I need to a bit more sky learning as I was sort of stick on Orion Nebula and didn't really work out what else I could find. It was a little frustrating to be honest, but I will stick at it.

Anyway, the reason for this post is, when I brought the scope into the warmth I left of the lens cap and al the caps off the Barlow and the eye pieces. Is this the right thing to do? I want to make sure I don't trap in any condensation.

Also, how long should I leave the caps off?

Bone I'm new to this too, but I'd look at a book called turn left at Orion mate, might help you decide what to view. I'm awaiting delivery of my new 150p and can't wait! Had a good look at the moon tonight with an old 3" newt still an amazing view.

Jay

Thanks, will go an point it down now. It's just flit at the moment.

I've got turn left at orion and have read a bit of it, I thought I'd be lazy tonight and just use Google sky Maps to find things.

I think we have major Light Pollution issues here, so it madeit hard to even get my eyes accustomed to the dark.

The moon was gone by the time I got out.

Not every night works out but when they do its great.

It hasn't put me off. I think I was under prepared, just wanting to get out and point it at the couple of things I knew.

I spent a bit of time reading Turn Left at Orion last night, there's plenty I can aim to see, even though my garden is NE Facing. I can get some SW views from the side, Orion was easily visible, but not too well placed above a street lamp.

Next time I'm going to plan better, and aim to find 2 or 3 objects in TLAO, then take it from there.

I have also realised I had the Latitude set incorrectly on my mount, 45 degrees instead of 54.:(

Archived