sgl_imaging_challenge_6_banner_jupiter_2021.jpg.eacb9f0c2f90fdaafda890646b3fc199.jpg

Best DSOs?

Im just wondering if anyone would care to list the best dsos visible with the sw 130p? Ive been trying to find the ones on the 'guided tour' of my goto but I cant seem to find much :-( I live in quite light polluted skies, but can vaguely see andromeda galaxy and orion nebula. Need something new to look at! :-)

Andromeda is usually a disappointer at first, until you realise you're just looking at the core and the galaxy itself extends way further than your Field of View. (Not to mention its 2.5 million miles away)

I recommend these DSO's for your scope:

M35 - Cluster in Gemini

M42 - Orion Nebula

M45 - The Pleiades

Double Cluster in Perseus (although wrong time of year to get your best view)

Alcor/Mizar double star system in the Plough

M81/M82 Galaxies. If you fancy a challenge these are hard to locate but quite bright for galaxies

Matt

Andromeda is usually a disappointer at first, until you realise you're just looking at the core and the galaxy itself extends way further than your Field of View. (Not to mention its 2.5 million miles away)

Crikey! not long till the collision then... :)

I always find M44 (the Beehive) impressive, especially if you're finding it by star-hopping so you're used to the kind of brightness and numbers of stars in the area and then all of a sudden "wow!"

M13 was quite impressive when I saw it for the first time the other day, too.

James