Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

30-galaxy night!

Saturday night was clear, with just a little haze, so I hooked out the scope for a prolonged jaunt to top up the Messier count, and finally identify the many galaxies I have seen in Coma and Virgo in the past.

I had two observing runs: one from 10 till 11:30, together with a friend who was visiting, and one from 1 till 3:30.

I started out in CVN, adding M94 and M63 to my Messier count. Both galaxies were easily spotted with the C8. To keep my friend entertained, I then looked at a few familiar sights, such as M51, which showed both nuclei and a hint of the spiral arm stretching from the main to the satellite. M97 was next, a faint circular glow. I then turned to Leo, which showed M65 and M66 clearly, but NGC 3628 was lost in the LP from the city centre to the south-east. We also had a go at M53, a nice globular in Coma, and new to my Messier list.

During the second run I revisited the Leo triplet, and this time NGC 3628 stood out as an edge-on spiral. I then went on a prolonged jaunt through Coma and Virgo:

- M98, which escaped me before was spotted with averted vision as an elongated shape

- M99, just below was easier (I spotted this one a month ago).

- M88, also quite easy, and M91, M90 and M89 followed in quick succession

- I spent some time on M87, picked out NGC 4478 just beside it, but failed to get NGC 4476 (a bit too faint for the very slight haze perhaps). I also got one of the "eyes" NGC 4438, but I am not sure about NGC 4435 (maybe, but I will revisit this from a properly dark site).

- M86 and M84 stood out clearly in the FOV of the Nagler 22mm, and I verified the observation by spotting NGC 4387 and 4388 in the same FOV.

- Just below these easy ones, NGC 4440 was harder, only spotted with averted vision

- M58 was another easy addition to the Messier haul, and after star hopping to M59, I was treated to the sight of M59 and M60 standing out clearly with NGC 4638 some fainted close to them, and NGC 4647 spotted with averted vision very close to M60. Beautiful quartet!

- M49 was next, clearly visible as a bright elliptical, followed by NGC 4536, which showed a bright and condensed nucleus. NGC 4535 was harder (typical face-on spiral).

- M61 is a much brighter face-on spiral, which showed hints of structure.

This was the last galaxy, but as Saturn was up, I had a look at that as well. Always a great sight. To finish off, I had a look at M13 and M57, which are also perennial favourites.

The total haul: 30 galaxies 2 planetaries and 2 globulars, including 15 new Messier objects logged :). A great night all in all, and it looks clearer today than it was then, so I want to repeat this from outside the city.

Sounds like a good fun haul. Its hard to move for spring galaxies at the moment isn't it?

Don't forget to grab M68 and M83 way down south in Hydra if your rural site allows. I've finally grabbed them although they do suffer from being so low.

Clear skies,

Mark

Sounds like a good fun haul. Its hard to move for spring galaxies at the moment isn't it?

Don't forget to grab M68 and M83 way down south in Hydra if your rural site allows. I've finally grabbed them although they do suffer from being so low.

Clear skies,

Mark

Actually, this is a suburban site, and trees preclude sighting M68 and M83.I may give it a shot from a rural site later. However, I have to go to Australia for work in April and May, and I intend to grab them there. I wont have the C8 down there, but the 80mm APO and the binoculars should be sufficient, I hope.

I wonder how many galaxies could be spotted in say 1 hour using only star hoping. I might try to set a record for others to try to beat...

30 is a pretty amazing total Michael you clearly have the bug! You do not mention ngc 4565 in Coma. It is just awesome. 10 times longer than wide, a lovely field star next to the core and a hint of the dust lane. One for the next list?

Mark

I wonder how many galaxies could be spotted in say 1 hour using only star hoping. I might try to set a record for others to try to beat...

30 is a pretty amazing total Michael you clearly have the bug! You do not mention ngc 4565 in Coma. It is just awesome. 10 times longer than wide, a lovely field star next to the core and a hint of the dust lane. One for the next list?

Mark

I got NGC 4565 long ago (1980) so I decided to give it a miss in favour of stuff I did not know. Might give it a go tonight.

Archived