Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which TV "Low Power" Eyepiece ?

I recently purchaesd a WO Megrez 90 FL558 - F6.2 and (following some excellent comments and advice on here and on CN) TV 9mm and 13mm T6 Naglers. These provide (including use with a WO 2.5x Barlow) magnifications of x43, x62, x107 and x155.

My question is, which TV EP (not Ethos) would members recommend I consider buying as my "low power" EP, for visual use only, from my light polluted location in the UK ? I would not be using the Barlow with it. (Would a Panoptic 27mm be a decent choice ?)

Many thanks .

How far does your budget stretch?

The 27mm Panoptic is a very nice eyepiece, alternatively the 22mm T4 Nagler would give a slightly larger field of view at higher magnification (=darker background).

Thanks - could probably afford the 22mm T4 Nagler, especially with the 20% "off" sale now on.

My Vixen ED102 has a similar spec to your scope (it's an F/6.5). I use 20mm and 31mm T5 Naglers for low power viewing. If the light pollution is bad then the 20mm is the more useful but I wouldn't be without the 31mm to get max FoV when skies are dark. It's fantastic to be able to see the whole of the Veil nebula in the FoV at once :)

I would choose the Nagler 22, though its quite heavy for a 90mm scope, or the 19 or 24 Panoptic (perfect IMHO). The 16mm Nagler is another fine EP with the same FOV as the 19 Panoptic but approx 1/3 higher magnification. The only real drawbacks are the "Ring of Fire" visible in faster scopes and a slightly curved field..

A 20mm Pentax would be another top-notch EP. It has a flawless, flat field, but I find the the fact that you have to keep your eye in EXACTLY the right position, or suffer blackouts, a PITA.

I would think the 27 Pan might be a bit wide and its certainly a biggun', but some like it that way. :)

The 24mm Panoptic is a good suggestion - it's a lovely widefield eyepiece in a small refractor, and I use the cheaper but broadly equivalent 24mm Meade SWA a lot in my TeleVue 76 (480mm f/6.3). It's also convenient to stick with the 1.25" format, and considerably lighter than the big Naglers. IMO it's a bit overpriced, but the resale value is excellent which largely balances it I suppose.

Hi

I would opt for a 20mm type5 Nagler as it is relatively light and compact and offers a great field of view.

It will give you a nice dark sky background which will help with your LP sky.

Being relatively light it Barlows very well if you ever choose to.

The type5's are well known for their sharpness.

In saying that you cant go wrong with any of the recommendations made here.

Good luck it aint an easy choice.:)

Regards Steve

all options are valid here I think. the 22mm Panoptic is also a good one if you can find one used. the only way I'd ever sell this is to fund a 26mm Nagler T5. Then again it would still fill a gap between the 13mm Ethos and 26mm Nagler........

this is yet another case where there's proof that you can never have too many eyepieces! (I'm collecting such evidence for future use) :)

Archived