SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Sky at Night on BBC1 vs BBC4

Jimmy Stix

Does anyone know why the BBC add an extra 10 minutes to the S@N when it's repeated on BBC4. Is it to encourage the switch to digital? Seems a piddling amount of time to add if it is especially as there are plenty of digital only progs already.

They should put on the extended version on BBC 1, and at a much earlier time. The current transmission time seems to target astronomers who are either used to strange hours or clouded in. A child's bedtime may be the only thing separating them from the beginning of a life-long hobby :)

Of course, they should always repeat the same one later on at night, for the rest of us!

Maybe its so they can field questions from viewers.Mine is on tomorrow nights edition.

Bit of a dumb question:

"is it just a huge co-incidence that the disc of the moon exactly covers the sun during an eclipse?"

Best i could manage i`m afraid:o

""is it just a huge co-incidence that the disc of the moon exactly covers the sun during an eclipse?""

It doesn't !

The shadow is always differant sizes,think of an Anular Eclipse :p:)

Love the show,and always record and keep the longer version,

JJ..:)

omg! have never noticed that, has it always been like that? Be very interested to see if anyone knows. Thats a bit pants isnt it! wonder why it is

The repeat is usually longer than the first showing.

When Chris Lintott visited my club to give a talk, I asked him

why that was. He said that it was down to the BBC, and not

the wish of Patrick or anyone else on the program, and out of

their control. Bit odd isn't it, Auntie Beeb doing that.

Regards, Ed.

A child's bedtime may be the only thing separating them from the beginning of a life-long hobby :)

I wrote to Patrick Moore when I was nine. I sent him a picture of Saturn, and he wrote back (I must dig out his reply sometime). The only reason I knew to do this was because S@N was on at a time I could watch.

Shame I had a hiatus from astronomy for the intervening 20 years...

that is great 4lefts! i wish i had done something similar, what a guy though eh? he really is a legend. Personally i do think it should be on earlier, like has been mentioned it will only pursued more youngsters to take up the hobby or just to take a keen/er interest in the sciences of astronomy and physics. It did for me but at a later age lol

Yes he personally replied to me when i was 15 and doing a project for my exams on astronomy and space.I got an A for the project,sadly my course work let me down in the physics paper.

Last year my daughter wrote to him, and he again personally replied on his letterhead paper with his cat logo ,enclosing some interesting literature for the space club she was co-running at school.

That`s the sort of thing that gets people into astronomy,not half baked "rock stars "posing in exotic locations;)

Maybe its so they can field questions from viewers.Mine is on tomorrow nights edition.

Bit of a dumb question:

"is it just a huge co-incidence that the disc of the moon exactly covers the sun during an eclipse?"

Best i could manage i`m afraid:o

Just watched the show ,I had forgotten what question I asked ,as it was a while ago when I posted it.What I actually asked was ,"why does the earth rotate at the same rate as the moon?":o

I am very pleased for my question to have been on the show,and for Patrick to answer it also.:)

The show was great,hope there are many more to come.:(

loved the episode, the only downer on it for me was john culshaw.... he did not help proceedings at all! grr :(

im glad you got a question on there!!! thats great!!! on the 700th episode of sky at night!, one to tell the grand kids.

Archived