Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ISS & shuttle discovery tonight

Finally a gap in my life and a gap in the clouds coincided with an ISS pass. So I set up my bins on the tripod in front of my house and waited... how would I pick it up with sunset not finished and Orion only just appearing?

Then B***** ME it can't be that bright thing over there - but it is! I never thought to check magnitude, I assumed it would be like any other satellite. My 6 year old daughter was made up to see a real spaceship and even my wife (Jupiter? meh) was impressed and asking questions. Made my night too. Now when's the next one?

Yes, saw it! Two objects about 10 degrees or so apart... which one was which? Stunning...

The shuttle was the one in front, ISS following. Looked absolutely awesome and just happened to be in the one direction in my back garden I've got almost perfect view.

Shame was so dim though, think my images are a failure. Loading up PS to see if I can over expose them out a bit.

Little surprised by the apparent closeness of their elevation. Was supposed to be half a degree or so, but looked almost identical to the naked eye.

sadly :p i missed it tonight i totally forgot about the time and being busy doing something else at the time it went right out of my mind it was a special night too with it being the very last time to witness them both together and so close too not to mention a perfectly clear sky i am very unhappy with myself :) :)

regards Rob

So sad i didnt spot it... it was low elevation? about 17-10 deg moving south from WSW?

How bright ? thanks! Saw alot of aircraft.. coming out of Gatwick from roughly the same area at that time,....

I went for a walk with my dog last night when the sun was setting.

The stars were appearing and I was looking at Orion when I noticed two points of light moving from vest to east beneath the constellation. They moved slightly apart (about a fingers width) - the brightest a bit to the right and slightly above the other. They moved beneath Sirius and then I couldn't see them anymore.

My old cell phone said 18:52 - I tried to take a photo with the internal camera but I was too slow (yes getting old).

I realized I must have seen the ISS and Discovery. I've never seen the ISS before and actually thought it traveled east to vest. I heard earlier on the news that they would be there but I thought it wouldn't be possible to see anything because it isn't really that dark around 19:00 over here anymore and so I had forgotten about it.

So a nice surprise.

Thanks so much Bombassa for sharing the link - they were much higher in the sky than i thought they would be! NO wonder i missed them.. Great to see them together like that..on their last pass..

Discovery and ISS just passed overhead at 0022 Zulu, 1922 local, here in Western Pennsylvania. High thin overcast, but no problem seeing both. Took my 16-year old to a local grass airport. ISS trailed Discovery by about 85 seconds. First time seeing both. Also spotted three sun pillars thanks to a heads up from the local Amateur Astronomy Association of Pittsburgh.

Archived