Narrowband

Apéritif observing 6/3/11

Sat on the balcony this evening having a drink & nibbles.

'Wow, look at the moon' said Mrs Ed. So dustcaps off, eyepiece in and swing the 8" Dob round.

The Moon sat beautifully in the middle of the 10mm stock ep; the 'earthshine' meant that the whole disc was visible, but the thin creasent was gobsmacking.

In with the 6mm, this was a bit too shimmery, seeing must not have been great. The detail & contrast was much better with the 10mm.

The kids had a look, my daughter asked 'whats that star next to the Moon'? I didn't have my thinking cap on.

I found the 'star' in the 25mm. The disc shape and it's surrounding 'stars' instantly rang bells that this was, in fact Jupiter.

Brilliant, but as it was still light, we couldn't see too much detail, but it was there, and so were the Moons.

Whilst set up, I swang round to Orion. M42, yep, still there.

All in all a very quick, yet fruitful session.

Ed

PS below are 2 afocal shots of the Moon taken with a rubbish digital camera (that's my excuse anyway).

post-23174-133877541506_thumb.png

post-23174-133877541525_thumb.png

Archived