Banner.jpg.39bf5bb2e6bf87794d3e2a4b88f26f1b.jpg

hello from new member

killer10971

hi all

just bought my wife a skywatcher 200p on a eq5 mount (manual as i thought it would be fun to learn) for her birthday and as im the more technical one i have loads of questions.

we are both complete beginners so please bear with me and i found the skywatcher manual lacking to say the least.

1) setting to polaris is it as complicated as all the help files i found online

2) should the dec ring turn independently of the dec adjuster knob ,are they 2deg increments and whats the little scale (2- 1- 0 -1 -2) thing

are there any good books and dam brian cox for seducing my wife

cheers all

andy

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Killer and welcome to SGL!! You have a fine scope and mount there so be prepared for a steep(ish) learning curve to start with!!

For visual work you don't need absolutely perfect polar alignment. If you set the mount up and remove the small plastic caps that cover the end of the polar axis (both of them) you can "sight" Polaris through the polar axis (assuming you have no polar scope) - this will be quite good enough for visual work if you get Polaris in the middle of your view.

The setting circles (the rings with numbers on) are, to be honest, pretty useless!! They are really only for show and the manufacturers would be better off not putting them on the mount in the first place!! - Ignore them! (btw the little scale is supposed to be a vernier scale!!)

As for books - "Turn Left at Orion" is the one usually suggested. Also "Stellaruim" and "Cartes du Ceil" - both free downloads - and both exellent planetaria for your computer!!

Edited by Bizibilder

thanks for a great welcome

i was a land surveyor for 15 years so understand co-ordinate sytems and optical instruments (not telescopes :)) and have got my head round using the polar scope bit with my lattitude , so if i always align using polaris then the Ra "floppy" ring is always set to 0 and the date ring is set to current date aginst the correct time ??

if the setting circles are not all that then whats the bestway to do it ?? is it a case of knowing the nights sky and traversing using known stars visually using low magnification and once found increase magnification

also the GO TO conversions are they worth it then as im regretting not getting that version mount to start with

many thanks all

hi andy and family,welcome to sgl and the lounge that brain cox looks like a ladys man for sure no wonder half the wifes do not mind watch in is programes joke a side you will have to report your first light with the scope

Hi, Andy - welcome to the lounge.

I did look at a 150/200 on an eq mount - and then bottled it, and went with GoTo :p

But, I've no doubt that sooner or later I'm going to have to face the delights of eq, and do this "properly" :)

Good luck, and you WILL get good advice on this forum.

Hi Andy (+ better half) and welcome to the forum.

I'm afraid it does come down to knowing a little of the night sky and also about increasing the magnification only when you have found your chosen object and you want to take a closer look. The earlier suggestion of Stellarium is excellent as it will show you what is up there and the time that it will be available. An example where this is useful is when if you have any obstructions in your garden such as trees or outbuildings, you can fast forward the clock within the planetarium to see when objects will appear at a given type and from which direction.

For visual use the main purpose of alignment is simply to position the the main axis of the mount so that all subsequent adjustments (up and down, left to right) are limited along a defined path which is the same as the path travelled by the stars. It makes tracking an object a whole lot easier. GOTO is very useful and will show you what is up there and where it is and so from the point of view of those starting out, it is a very useful learning tool. However, one of its possible drawbacks is that there is always the temptation to 'dial in' the next object without taking the time to study and therefore understand what's already in the eyepiece. In the past when I had spent quite a lot of time trying to find an object, I knew that I was certainly going to spend an even longer period looking at it when I eventually found it! It's because of this that I felt that in the end, I had learnt a lot more about the night sky. You've got a very useful scope that is going to show you some great stuff and you certainly don't want to be in a rush to jump to the next thing.

Clear skies and remember to share the views!:):D

James