Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

LXD75 10 INCH TO GO

Well after a lot of thought , i have decided to let the LXD75 go . i know its alovely bit of kit etct etc, but to be honest , with my back troubles , i found it hard to put on and off , hence the lack of use ,also last night as it was windy , i thought i would try and see how the ED1OO performed on the Planets , so zoomed to Saturn , OH DEAR , compared to the gps 8 , it dont hold a candle to it, put in the 2x barlow , things improved a bit , it was sharp enough ,but sooo small , fitted the Toucam pro 2 , and on screen it was,nt great ,still to small for me , so not a happy bunny, thought after the reviews we had on this it would be better, so its an excellent scope the ED100 for deep sky , i love it and at F9 the images produce are equal to the LXD75 , with this in mind i have now purchased a Celestron OTA 11 INCH, TO FIT THE EQ6, this will now serve a good scope for the Planets ,and also planetary , and of course any small nebula, when will this ever stop , oh and also scrapped the Dome , building an extention to my original observatory to house afixed scope , roll off roof ,

Rog

:D

never said i was,nt happy CC , it just to big for me mate , my back is getting worse , i have to have treatment now everytime i lift the scopes out , so this is just not for me ,its mainly the length of it , and the 11 inch celestron is alot shorter and lighter

Rog

Rog

Is the C11 lighter than the newt?

It sounds like you need an assistant to do your carrying :D

Maybe you could advertise for one alongside one of your images in S@N?

Look after your back Roc as I need my regular 'fix' of astro images.

Cheers

Ian

The shorter scope'll be less awkward to lug around TBH IMHO Rog. It was work that did my back, but lugging a 10" newt around at night sure didn't help things - got rid of eventually, though I didna wanna.

Hope the 11 is better for you - probably will be - look after that back mate :D

Sorry to hear about your back problems Rog :D

I know what you mean about the SN10 weight!

What was the thinking behind the C11? I understand that the shorter tube will be easier to manoeuvre but unless I am mistaken, at 27lb, the OTA is only 3lb lighter than the Meade.

Celestron's C9.25 (also f10) weighs 'only' 20lb.

Is the C11 considered a better imaging scope?

Interesting this...

Can equate with your back problems Rog

Had three disc prolapses whilst at work over 20 years or so and now I'm

paying for it big time (look after your backs folks)

Re the scopes, I find it's not the weight that is the main problem, it's the

length of the scope acting as a lever on your back whilst your getting through

doorways and such.

Hope you get something to suite you Rog we need all the pictures we can get :D

Hi Steve well i have two issues here,after finding out the ED100 does not come up my expectaitions for imaging Planets, i was under the impression that refractors were good for Planets , ok they do give a crisp view , but even under heavy mag , i was not happy , and even worse on screen for imaging , was no where as good as the gps 8 , after already owning a gps11 a few years ago, i know how good these are for looking at and imaging planets, and i think i would like to return to taking images once again of the Planets , with my setup at the moment nothing is that good , now as regards the LXD75 ,its more the length than the weight Steve ,its awkward,i knew from the start really , that this was not what i wanted , but have to say , performance wise , it is good, the ED100 has surprised me , its an amazing scope , satisfying me for nearly all my DSO images , and is equal to the LXD75, so another reason for not getting the LXD onto the EQ6.also once i start guiding for images the c11 will be great for those ultra close up DSOs.one thing i did notice with the LXD75 was taking it on and off , involved collimating every time , not that its a prob , but not one i liked much , other than that it was fine .

Rog

Very interesting comments Rog :D

(The APO refractor brigade are no doubt sharpening their knives as we speak :p)

I guess when all is said and done, for observing and imaging planets, focal-length and aperture rule.

The C11 certainly has a good reputation; I look forward to reading your first-light report.

I know how you feel when it comes to awkwardness Rog, Carrying the dob down a flight of stairs is a nightmare, especially when the stairs are slippery!

Sorry to here about your back too, If I lived closer, I would have come and given you a hand :D

Kain

• 4 years later...

I have an old C8 and have been offered an SN-10 and LXD75 mount.

I haven't found anyone who has used an SN-10, I am wanting to get into imaging of DSOs and solar and was wondering if you thought the SN10 LXD75 combo would be worth my while, or if I should just save up for another year and get an EQ6 and slap my C8 OTA on that instead?

I know that the C8 would probably be better for planet imaging.

Any thoughts appreciated!

I run an SN10 on an EQ6 and I am very happy with it. I find it a good all rounder with a flat field and fast at F4 for imaging.

Optically I consider it very good. However I think there are some essential upgrades that need to be performed.

The tube is heavy as it has a mirror and a glass lens and is quite long. I fitted a machined handle that across the top of the mounting rings and also a machined dovetail as the Meade ally one is a little weak. This also helps with lugging the scope about and fitting it to the EQ6. It also helps make the whole tube far more rigid.

The meade focuser is a rack and pinion plastic jobby and while it gives good range most people consider upgrading to a crayford.

Larger knobs a stronger springs on the mirror assembly make collimation much easier and helps retain it. I rarely need to collimate mine after mounting and dismounting.

finally the screws etc. are made of cheap metal and rust so it's worthwhile changing these for stainless steel replacements.

A baader coma corrector brings out the best in this scope. This is my second after trying out various combinations of refractors, dobs, scts and found that for me it was the best all rounder and I ended up buying another one! It really could do with a EQ6 to bring out the best in the tube as it's heavy although for visual I think you can get away with an eq5, LxD 55/75 mount.

I completely understand about the weight issue though and you do need to be reasonably fit to lug it about even with the handle modification I performed.

Cheers

Paul

Found the some images on my laptop. These were all taken through my SN10 on an EQ6. I hasten to add I did not take them but the previous owner I purchased it from a few months ago but it showers the capabilities. A Baader coma corrector was also used.

post-15633-133877634028_thumb.jpg

post-15633-133877634037_thumb.jpg

post-15633-133877634045_thumb.jpg

post-15633-133877634052_thumb.jpg

post-15633-13387763406_thumb.jpg

post-15633-133877634065_thumb.jpg

They do weigh a bit, I have the SN10 on the LXD75, it's also fitted with a dove tail bar with a Sky Watcher 120 AR F5 (Guide Scope) beside it rather than onto to lower the centre of gravity, an interchangeable ETX90 for Planetary work with it's F13.8, and extra counter weight. It's not for the faint hearted or people with bad backs, but it's a fantastic scope, my only complaint was the cheap and nasty plastic focuser, this was however remedied by fitting a Revelation Crayford dual focuser, job done.

Archived