SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Skywatcher Skyliner 200p 8"Dob

Very enjoyable read.... I'm very tempted by one of the Skyliner dobs for my first scope. I'm thinking that if I can afford it, I might go for the 10" or even the 12". Or would that be too much for a newbie to handle?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Very enjoyable read.... I'm very tempted by one of the Skyliner dobs for my first scope. I'm thinking that if I can afford it, I might go for the 10" or even the 12". Or would that be too much for a newbie to handle?

I'm a total noob too. I'm going for the 8 inch due to budget. However if you can aford it I say why not :o

Thanks for linking me through to your review Ed !

Great read, and really informative. Has just reinforced all the great advice in choosing a scope I've recieved, and this is definately the one!!

P.s....really jelous of your location!! Love France...visit at least 3x a year in the 'van'. (Brittany mostly!)

Wishing you clear skies with your great scope.

Vicky.

really great review, Im a total novice and have been doing some research into what scope to go for. a lot of people have pointed me in the direction of the 8'' Dob and your review has certainly ticked all the boxes as to what im looking for. you may have just sealed the deal for me!

i wont be buying my scope for at least a month so have decided to get mysefl a pair of binoculars so i can find my way around first before i get my scope.

my budget only allows me to get the 8'' dob, however after seeing this vid on youtube im not sure i have the space for a larger one! found it a good indicator as to the scale of these scopes:

Thanks for the great review Ed!

I have purchased one of these and know I wont be disappointed :)

What do people think about a social group on this forum specifically for Skyliner 200p owners? (I know there is already a dobsonian one)

Its just that it is such a great and commonly bought scope. Eyepiece and finder suggestions etc. wouldn't be a bad idea?

thanks guys ill check them out... most sites say free mainland delivery but when you live in the highlands theres a 50 quid surcharge, but i get a lot of stuff from amazon thats heavy and on super saver delivery no problems

i dont blame the sites just the couriers :) (and brian cox B) )

• 3 weeks later...

Well you will be spending more for a piece of electronics, as opposed to a wide aperture which will let in more light and give greater views.

But some people cannot stand manually nudging a dob and some people, like me almost feel a little more in tune with things by doing it. If at all possible, could you have a go on someone's before you buy?

• 2 weeks later...

This has been an amazing read, thank you. I have also been looking at this scope and have been undecided for months. Have you found that your disability has been a problem with this 'scope? I am not disabled but I have MS and have to be realistic...

Thanks, Kerry.

I was so impressed with the thread I got myself a Revelation 10 inch dob on ebay and love it. I've bought a skywatcher 38mm 2 inch wide angle eyepiece and an ed barlow from FLO so far and will get a skywatcher autofocuser and red dot finder.

It came with a full set of 1.25 inch eyepieces too and I have some from my Celestron N6 GT setup so will experiment. Wanted to mount it on the Celestron goto platform but upon ordering the equivalent skywatcher tube rings and dovetail find they don't fit. Any suggestions would be gratefully received,

All the best,

George

A really good and insightful review, I like the fact that you include your capability, which will be useful to others who have health problems. I have back problems, and getting a RACI finder was one of the best purchases I have made, it saves my back no end, making observing less of a chore.

I agree that it would be sensible for the manufacturer to put a RACI finder on to start with, it may increase the cost a little bit, but most people change the finder straight away as it is a pain to use. My original finder is sat on a shelf doing nothing, and I don't want to get rid of it, "Just in case".

This has been an amazing read, thank you. I have also been looking at this scope and have been undecided for months. Have you found that your disability has been a problem with this 'scope? I am not disabled but I have MS and have to be realistic...

Thanks, Kerry.

Hi Kerry, it's not really been a problem. I just sit on a stool to observe and the eyepiece is in the perfect place, no awkward positions needed. Also there's nothing to trip over or get in the way.

I find 'nudging' this Dob very easy and intuitive.

I'd say the only thing which I struggle with (a bit) is the finder. A right angle finder would be better; I have got a Rigel quick finder which makes things easier.

HTH,

Ed

Archived