Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher Skyliner 200p 8"Dob

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great review! Like you I own a Skywatcher. Mine had no issues with collimation (right out of the box like yours). I wish you many wonderful nights with your new scope. I have a condition as well. I have MS and there's nothing better for the mind and soul than to be looking at the stars. I actually believe that i have found the cure to MS. Keep looking up in wonder and everything will be fine.

Isabelle

• 3 weeks later...

I've owned the 8" and 10" Skyliner dobsonains and they are great scopes. In an ideal world they would be fitted with a right angle optical finder and a Telrad or similar in my opinion but that would jack the retail price up a bit and hitting the correct price points seems very important to the manufacturers. Likewise including a couple of GSO quality plossls would be an improvement over the modified achromat eyepieces supplied as standard but again the price would rise a bit - there is no such thing as a free accessory - well not a decent quality one, anyway ;)

It would be interesting if an enterprising dealer were to provide the option to outfit the scopes they sell with the accessories I've mentioned, for an appropriate additional cost of course, I wonder how many folks would go for the "deluxe" package if it added, say, £70 to the scope price :p

I've owned the 8" and 10" Skyliner dobsonains and they are great scopes. In an ideal world they would be fitted with a right angle optical finder and a Telrad or similar in my opinion but that would jack the retail price up a bit and hitting the correct price points seems very important to the manufacturers. Likewise including a couple of GSO quality plossls would be an improvement over the modified achromat eyepieces supplied as standard but again the price would rise a bit - there is no such thing as a free accessory - well not a decent quality one, anyway ;)

It would be interesting if an enterprising dealer were to provide the option to outfit the scopes they sell with the accessories I've mentioned, for an appropriate additional cost of course, I wonder how many folks would go for the "deluxe" package if it added, say, £70 to the scope price :p

That is a very interesting idea John. I for one would have been on it straight away if it was available when I came to buy mine. But your price estimate may be a little short for the upgrade? I found the right angled finder on FLO website for £70 by itself - unless you have another in mind.

A telrad or rigel is 20-40 quid and GSO EPs 30 each roughly. Also which sizes would you have thought would be best for the scope?

I am so intruiged because recently I have had more than one person I know ask me personally to recommend them a telescope and/or set up.

Great idea!

A right angled finder is high on my wanted list. I damaged my back and neck in a car accident 10 years ago and i find the straight tru finder literally a pain in the neck. I find it virtually impossible for me to use when observing at the zenith. I use the telrad almost exclusively as my finder.

A right angled finder is high on my wanted list. I damaged my back and neck in a car accident 10 years ago and i find the straight tru finder literally a pain in the neck. I find it virtually impossible for me to use when observing at the zenith. I use the telrad almost exclusively as my finder.

Where abouts is your telrad positioned Matthew? I find I still have to crank my neck around along side the tube as I have placed it next to the optical finder.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A forum member and new Skyliner 200P owner contacted me recently to ask some questions. The questions and answers might help others so I will post the questions and answers. Please correct me if I got anything wrong. :)

Ed.

Hi i read your review. nice review!

I have a Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian. and was maybe you could take some time out to help me :) plz

1. I'm going to buy a Baader Laser Collimator, as i'm told it might need doing now and then! is this ok for that, or do i have to get anything else for it to help with the collimation?

2.It comes with a 10mm and 25mm eyepieces. are they good enough?

what other eyepieces shall i get? i dont want to get the best that cost the earth :), just something thats good enough maybe..

as for a barlow, shall i get this one Skywatcher Deluxe 2x Barlow or would you recomend me on both barlow and eyepieces please :( as i'm not sure what Mag i should keep to, and what max times i will get, 130 x 200 x max. i dont want to start buying parts that will just be a wast!

3. i hear ppl talk about Dew Shields, do i really need one? the scope will be kept in the shed! do they help with lights

as i live near street lights, as im from the uk :) is there anything i should buy or do to help with the lights?

5. i was thinking of getting a Baader 30mm Sky Surfer III or would a Right-Angled Finderscope be better? as my bad isn't the best at the mo, i have to keep bending right down lol

Or i hear some buy a Telrad Finder scope . not 100% sure how it works..*

6. filters. i have some Antares 4 Piece Filter Set. 15 yellow orange, 21 orange, 56 green, 80a medium blue. not 100% sure what the numbers mean, or what planets etc i use them for, as this was given to me.? what kind of moon filter shall i get.

if there's anything you would recomend, or what you have done with your dob?

i be more then greatful if you could help us out please :(

Thanks alot,

Hi. The 200p is a great 'scope.

1) I just got a basic laser collimator. It does the job. I used this guide Astro Babys Guide to Collimation to learn how to do it the first couple of times, written by another SGL member 'Astrobaby'. Use this guide and you can't go wrong.

2) The 10mm and 25mm eyepieces that come with the 'scope aren't great but they're ok. I suggest getting used to them for a while; you'll soon find out what power eyepieces you need. I ended up getting an 8mm HR Planetenokular - 8mm Brennweite - 1,25' - 60° WW Feld for Planets and a 32mm http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-eyepieces/skywatcher-panaview-2-eyepieces.html*for DSO & 'exploring'. This excellent guide will help you to select eyepieces.*http://stargazerslounge.com/beginners-help-advice/80772-eyepieces-very-least-you-need.html

As for a Barlow, I would also leave that until you get used to what focal lengths/magnifications you will need. These 'scopes are great with 2" fitting eyepieces at longer focal lengths; you may prefer to get a Barlow with 2" fitting.

3) A dew shield isn't really necessary for a Dob as they don't attract dew as much as some other 'scopes.*

However if light pollution/street lights are a problem then a dew shield will certainly help to reduce stray light from entering the 'scope.

5) Lots of people (me included) use Telrad or Rigel finders*First Light Optics - Rigel QuikFinder Compact Reflex Sight They make the task much easier.*

But if you have problems with your back, this*First Light Optics - Skywatcher 9x50 Right-Angled, Erecting Finderscope might be better for you. I believe it fits into the holder already on the 'scope.

6) A coloured filter like one of the ones you already have will be all you need for now; this is for viewing the Moon as it can be really bright.

Again, I'd leave other filters for now until you get more of a 'feel' for what you will need and what/how you will observe.

Personally I sit on a stool to observe. I am 6' 5" (195cm) tall so it really suits my back to observe this way.

The best thing to do when you get a new telescope is to get to know it, learn how to use it and learn as much as you can about consellations and where objects/targets are.

The only other thing I would suggest you buy is a good book like this one.*Turn Left at Orion: A Hundred Night Sky Objects to See in a Small Telescope - and How to Find Them: Amazon.co.uk: Guy Consolmagno, Dan M. Davis: Books

Or maybe a good Planesphere.*First Light Optics - David Chandler Night Sky Planisphere

Don't forget to downlad*Stellarium (free) and away you go!*

I hope I have helped, enjoy your 'scope! :(:p:)

Ed.

• 1 month later...

Nice post. It really got me thinking because I just found that exact scope for sale.. used...no EPs...for kr.1000 which I think is around £110...I should run with it and never look back right? The only thing is that I was really leaning towards something more portable. Hmmm, I just can't make up my mind between portable or 'big bucket' :-)

i've been looking at getting this telescope so this review has been really useful! i do still have one question though - how portable is it?

i don't have a balcony or a garden so i'll have to take it out somewhere, i'd like to know whether it disassembles into the two main parts easily, and whether it comes with any kind of case or bag that you can transport it in?

*should mention, this will be my first telescope*

It is not too portable as a whole package. With the base and ota and handles I can just carry it out from my house to back garden.

Break it into two parts of the base and ota and it is very simple to move around, even more so if you put some handles on it.

It fits into small cars easily and also because it is f/6 focal ratio it holds it's collimation pretty well even after a car journey.

I bought it as my first proper telescope and haven't looked back since :)

• 9 months later...

Just to add to the moving about of the 8" dob ,after having a stroke and at 60 i never imagined so much pleasure could be had sat in a chair staring in the sky and being disabled and the lifting being very difficult, i bought 4 rubber wheeled casters off ebay with brakes and had a ramp made over the back doorway base so rolling it out and back is so much easier. Had to have the ramp altered first as to steep, my neighbour said i looked like a quad bike racer hanging on to this white funnel

• 10 months later...

Hello orion_the_Hunter.

An old post now, but It just goes to show, if you look hard enough, you`ll find it? This is a good review, as ive been contemplating a Dob (fact - just ordered one ).

I`ve Have the Celestron powerseeker 127EQ (for about 3 Weeks I think - cost me £70 including £30 worth of good books ect), and have experienced much fiddling in the dark......Unlock this, move that, re-lock, twist the OTA to get the viewfinder and sighting scope to within reach, screw that!

Polar alignment was a simple affair for me, point North, set the declination, align finder with telescope on polaris, its the rest of the viewing session thats fiddly, hence my reasoning to look at the Dobsonians. The 127EQ works, but I can understand now,in the short time of ownership, why so many have already advised me, on my post, to "try before you buy" (Thats difficult, as there are No dealers in my area, or, unless you join a club). I`m certain the 127EQ could be bettered ( starter scope) once a decent eyepiece is fitted, but this unit is still being sold from a High street vendor for £199.oo as the PS1000 127EQ, I`ve effectivley paid £40 to `Try` this scope, which isnt too bad.

There are street lights to the North AND South of my property, plus all properties have security PIR lights so it can get awkward, but Im surrounded by obstacles in my garden, so I`m able to isolate any direct lighting into my eyes/scope, but Im only 5 mins in the car to dark country lanes, but not a safe place to setup a telescope on a back road if the Boy racers are out? There is a local club, and they have access to secure land, that has prime dark sky with good views to E,S & W with hill screening to the North which helps reduce the City lights, so my choice of Dob, was based on its size for portability, size of Aperture for light gathering and costs (see below) and reviews like this! plus, it appears that this particular Dob is the favourite of so many, and they cant all be wrong?

I also picked up on a reply from `ZEbbEDY` regarding postage costs. I too suffer the dreaded courier SCAMs, I live in Elgin, which is in Moray, Grampian, Aberdeenshire, NE Scotland, UK Mainland (ALL COURIERS please NOTE that) but Elgin has an IV. (Inverness postcode?) attached, so were all doomed to pay astronomical delivery prices (theres that pun again?) because they assume we live on an Island that is seperate to everything else, or lost somewwhere in the Highlands? but I managed to get a delivered price for my Skyliner 200P for £289 so

only a tenner for delivery, but I even complained about that because Royal mail sees us as UK mainland, so why cant anyone else ?

I`m sure Im going to have fun with this scope, and have at least 5-7 Days of waiting now with the Weekend ahead, so Ive time to check out some extras. I do like to complete a hobby/purchase all in one go, so need to choose wisely. This way, theres only the one initial shock of expense for the Mrs. Its best not to keep buying bits for Months after. She will forget about the scope in a few days, except for that "Whats that ugly thing doing in the corner of my Kitchen attitude.? Lol

Thanks again for your review.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived