Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher 127 Mak Eyepieces?

Hi forum

Just a quick question on the eyepiece for a skywatcher 127 Mak (or even Celestron 127 Mak as the are similar.

What are the quality of the 10 & 25mm eyepiece and deluxe barlow lens usually given with this scope?

Are they super plossls? Or???

With a budget of up to 50 per eyepiece - which would go well with the scope? Would it be worth replacing the EP's that come with the scope? And, would the deluxe barlow be worth replacing?

I also notice on some ads for the scope that the scope (by using the barlow and 10mm EP) that up to x 300 is possible but the actual usable magnification is only around 260 - So, would a barlow be pointless unless using a 'bigger' EP?

Thanks for any EP info.

The 25mm is usually ok, but the 10mm and barlow are poor.

There are much better quality Plössl eyepieces available and a good quality 15mm and 8mm will do you fine. The 8mm will give x188 and should be your maximum magnification. You may be able to use a 6mm on nights where the seeing is excellent - but those nights are rare.

With the current sale, you can get Televue Plössls for about £55-56. To me they aren't any better than the Vixen NPL at £30 (see FLO website). A good alternative would be TMB planetaries. They have a 60° field and will cost £38 each.

I'd give the barlow a miss. They often just duplicate magnifications you already have and as they cost the same as the type of eyepiece you are looking at, you are better off with another eyepiece for the money.

Thanks, that is really useful. I think the two sizes mentioned would be good.

Would a 40mm or similar (from the maker mentioned) be a benefit too?

So, the Skywatcher super plossls are not very good? Assuming it is those you get with the scope and not even cheaper EP's.

Thanks

A barlow may be useful for imaging, but on my 127 mak I struggle to get focus beyond 200x magnification. That may just be my eyepieces though. I have the Revelation set that FLO sell for around £120 and generally I'm very happy with them.

If your barlow is the same as the one I got with my ST80 then I think it is rubbish.

James

The problem with 40mm eyepieces is the limited field of view due to being restricted by the 1¼" barrel size. A 32mm Plössl is the widest you can get for 1¼".

On Skywatcher Plössls, the 20mm/25mm are very good, the 10mm very poor. I've not tried other sizes.

Good advice there from Mr Spock. Having the same scope, I would rate the 25 as OK (certainly doesn't require IMMEDIATE replacement) but the 10, and the barlow are rubbish, I am afraid - you can pick them up 2nd-hand (if they sell at all) for as little as £5-£8. But there again, the scope is superb for the money. And, not being a fast scope, you really can use slightly lower quality eps very successfully - Televues or Hyperions for this scope would be overkill (although a really good investment for the future).

Personally, I'm picking up eps in ones and twos as I see the need (and as I see a good price). Celestron, Vixen, Meade & TMB are great value, and you will find even a basic Celestron 9mm to be MUCH better than the SW 10 which comes with the scope. If you do want a barlow - the TAL ones seem to be regarded as excellent for the money by many lounge users.

Don't rush to buy very high power eps (less than about 9mm) - it will be very rare that the seeing is so good that you can use them :)

The 25 and 10mm eyepieces you get with the scope are ****! look very plastic and lenses look plastic as well and images are not that good through them either.

I've the Skywatcher Super Plossl 52 degree set 40mm to 6.7mm, they are much better quality and the images are excellent.

They cost around £25 - £30 each and you can get these from Rother valley Optics.

I wouldn't recomend getting the whole collection like I've got, I found that a 32mm, 25mm, 17.5mm and 10mm is most I use for my Skywatcher Mak 127.

The 32mm is a excellent eyepiece for low power wide view's for DSO's. And if you got mild light pollution, use a Skywatcher Light pollution filter with the 32mm, It make's DSO'S contrast stand out a lot better and with minimal light loss with this LPR filter, they cost around £20, which is a good filter to use for this size apeture!

I've got the Antares Spears Whaler 8mm-5mm zoom eyepiece which I bought from Rother Valley Optics. I've tried many zoom eyepieces which I'm not to fond off. However after testing this zoom eyepiece at Star Party. I was quite impressed by it's performance with the planets, and it gave an excellent FOV as well, not many zoom eyepieces are good for this!

I immediate bought the Spears Waler, it's an excellent zoom eyepiece and I think it's the best one in the market to date, I think?

However you might have several eyepieces in one, but you cannot go wrong with a decent 2X Barlow instead, which you save more money in the long run.

This zoom eyepiece is only good for high magnification for planets and the moon only if the skies permit Lol! It's not ideal the DSO's whatsoever??

Got the Baader Hyperions 8mm 13mm and 24mm and they are great with the 127 Mak. As already said great investment for the future. I still use the 25mm which came with the scope for setting up my star finder :)

The Mak 127 is a great Planetary Scope (would never part with it) even though I also have a 10" Dobsonian.

Ken

Was out tonight for the first serious observing session and I totally agree about the 10mm EP. Used the 25mm is OK (just) got views of M42,44 & 45. But using the 10mm on doubles is hopeless, never mind birthday's coming up. Still scope worked well with new Aldi power pack. GOTO was accurate and tracked M42 for 1/2 a hour it had only moved about 1/3 of the 25mm EP FOV. Really please with that.

Geoff

Some great advice on what goes well with the 127.

SW Super Plossls are ok then, along with the other makes mentioned Celestron, Vixen, Meade & TMB - Could not find a uk supplier of the TMB but others no problem and all within my starting budget.

Think I'd go with a 9mm and a low power but don't know if 32mm is best or lower to 40mm??

I am just trying to get all the info I can on this scope as I think, so far, it may offer the best for my starting needs.

Thanks

Archived