SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M63 Widefield (and a couple of distant cousins)

I have to admit, I thought M63 would have come out bigger than this, and I also thought I'd have got better definition after 5.5hrs, but obviously this is one of those that needs a lot more to keep the noise down... (bit disappointed really :p - probably my processing again...)

I tried to crop, but the noise was too great, so I left it as a widefield shot so that I could keep the 2 distant galaxies in the frame (one at 0800 and the other 0300 - for some reason, I got a lot of pleasure discovering those when they popped out... I must try and find out what they are and what magnitude etc :)).

MN190 guided and modded 40D - 27x600s (20 darks, 20 Flats, 20 Flat darks) and 4x900 (20 Darks).

post-18819-133877540817_thumb.jpg

I think you're being a little kind, but thanks anyway...

PS - That's an amazing barn-door tracker you and your dad have put together and your Orion widefield is awesome :). Sadly I'm cr*p at DIY, so doing something like that was never an option - Putting up shelves is about my limit (but don't expect them to be level :p)

I think you're being a little kind, but thanks anyway...

PS - That's an amazing barn-door tracker you and your dad have put together and your Orion widefield is awesome :). Sadly I'm cr*p at DIY, so doing something like that was never an option - Putting up shelves is about my limit (but don't expect them to be level :p)

I'm not being kind, I'm speaking my initial reaction. I love the colors in the galaxy. It's far better than what I'm capable of at this moment.

ps. thank you very much :(. My father-in-law really supplied me with the tools, parts, and taught me the know-how. But he refuses to take credit for the build haha. it's not quite a proper telescope mount but it was free and has really widened my horizons with this medium/subject matter. I'm tossing the idea around with adding a motor but I kinda like the novelty of saying I tracked it by hand. ;)

Okay, Okay - I hear you... I won't crop it (;)), and thank you all...!

(And thanks very much Peter for those ID's - I spent ages looking for a good star chart of the area but couldn't find a thing :p. I can look them up now...

Tadakun - I always have the greatest respect for people who have taken their images "the traditional way"... I did try one night trying to PEC train my mount using a 12mm illuminated reticle - It was one of the most nerve racking things I've ever had to do, and there wasn't even a camera attached anywhere! I seriously don't know how those pioneers of amateur astrophotograpers managed what they did with manual guiding and 35mm slide film :), but I'm glad they did it :(

Okay, Okay - I hear you... I won't crop it (:(), and thank you all...!

(And thanks very much Peter for those ID's - I spent ages looking for a good star chart of the area but couldn't find a thing :p. I can look them up now...

Tadakun - I always have the greatest respect for people who have taken their images "the traditional way"... I did try one night trying to PEC train my mount using a 12mm illuminated reticle - It was one of the most nerve racking things I've ever had to do, and there wasn't even a camera attached anywhere! I seriously don't know how those pioneers of amateur astrophotograpers managed what they did with manual guiding and 35mm slide film :), but I'm glad they did it :)

where there's a will there's a way. And with that comes Innovation.

who ever figured out a 1/4-20 thread on a single rotation was equal to a degree of earth's rotation is pure genius.:)

Archived