SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

22T4 vs. 26T5

Contemplating buying one of these during the 20% sale if my swap-shop trade doesn't decide it for me. Requirement is comfortable, long-eye relief viewing at medium/low power with the 350p - I do a lot of this. Although I have the 24mm Meade, that really serves a different role as a light(ish)-weight max AFOV 1.25" eyepiece for my TV76.

I've owned the 26T5 before now and loved it, but not the 22T4 (although I have had the 12 and 17T4s and liked them a lot). Any thoughts?

I've had the 22T4 and it was possibly best eyepiece I've had. Ergonomically speaking, it was lighter and smaller than the 17T4 I had at the same time. Of course there is the potential problem of the Instadjust if you don't like that system. Eye relief was enormous and made the 82° field very easy to access. Optically, I couldn't find fault. Regarding kidney beaning. If it was there, I didn't notice it....

I only sold it to fund my Ha project and do miss it.

Haven't tried the 26T5, so can't comment there, but the specs suggest marginally less ER, a touch heavier, and £100 more... I suppose the choice will ultimately depend on which focal length you'll find more useful.

Andrew

Thanks Andrew, that's very useful as it confirms much of what I thought i'd heard about the 22T4. With the 350p I find myself working a lot at lower powers - in part because i'm finding the ER of the Ethos a touch restrictive - and I remember T4s in particular as very comfortable and immersive. Instajust isn't an issue either, I quite like it (apart from the occasional shock when you pick up the EP and the instajust extends, making you think you've dropped it!)

I had both the 26T5 and 31T5 for a while, and found the 26mm to be better in many ways - certainly a favourite, although it is rather pricey and that £100 is significant. The 20T5 is also probably my favourite Nagler, but again the ER is too low these days. So I think the 22T4 has a lot going for it - pairs nicely with the 34mm SWA too, which is a touch out of its depth at f/4.5 but is close to unbeatable at the price I paid.

I seem to recall that I was the previous owner of Andrews 22mm T4 and concur with everything he says about it. Superb eyepiece, very immersive and comfortable to use. I sold it to go to a 20mm T5 and to this day often wonder why I did it, excellent eyepiece though the 20T5 is :)

Thanks guys. 22T4 is starting to sound very attractive, and I could move from the Ethos to a 12T4 which would make a nice progression. The Ethos is a great eyepiece, but - like the T6s - I just wish it had a touch more eye relief.

16mm is OK for most people with glasses, but 19 is better.

I'm increasingly finding that i'm much happier with longer eye relief, e.g. the radians, so this looks like another good reason. So decided on the 22T4, just need a few more pennies and i'm there :)

Ben its an interesting discussion. I have the 26T5 and its a great and comfortable EP to use. However, if I buying a new EP and had the 14" Dob I think I would opt for the 22T4. The exit pupil on your scope would be 4.9 compared to 5.8 - not a great problem but I think it gives the edge.

Mark

Well all I can say is ... what a terrific eyepiece the 22mm T4 is!

Funny evening alternating 90% cloud cover and spells of near-clear skies - hurrah for the observatory - and only a brief 15 minutes with the AP130 touring Orion and Auriga. But, wow, fantastic. Lovely to use, with the comfort and immersion of the 17T4 dialled up to 11, not a hint of blackout once I had the instajust tweaked, and glorious views. Bit early to tell, but I may have found my new favourite Nagler - very impressed :(

Thanks too for TH for super quick delivery and the weather gods for giving me some clear sky to try it with :)

I got the 20T5 recently after much indecidion vs. 22T4. Now I want both !!

Because I already have 26T5 it made sense to jump to 20mm rather than 22mm...... 21 Ethos would make most sense, but I felt it would disturb the harmony in my eyepiece case, some serious foam cutting would be needed.....

Apparently the 20T5 optically has a slight edge being a more modern design and better corrected, but they say the 22T4 is more immersive with its huge eye lens and long eye relief. I like the 20T5 I must say, very easy to use and very sharp, eyerelief a tad tight, but not enough to spoil it. Interestingly I have a Denkmeier EP with 68 deg AFOV and 20mm ER, and I find it equally immersive to the 20T5 with 82 deg AFOV. A big eye lens and long eyerelief might make things more immersive.....maybe this needs more examination....

I got the 20T5 recently after much indecidion vs. 22T4. Now I want both !!

:(

I've long considered the 20T5 my favourite Nagler with the 17T4 and 26T5 claiming second and third spots (which is 2nd and which is 3rd rather varies) - Al Nagler was on good form when working the 17-26 focal length range! I guess my first thoughts now are that better/worse doesn't really apply to the 20T5 vs. 22T4, they're both superb but with a bit of a different feel to them. Over time i've increasingly grown to prefer longer eye relief, so the T4 really looks like it'll work for me, but I don't think there are bad choices here.

If you can afford to own both, I doubt that you'd be disappointed!

Archived