SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Any newbies going to SGL6 or Kielder Autumn Star Party?

Lana

Hi Everyone! Just wondered if any newbies were going to either of the SGL6 or Kielder Autumn star parties this year? I am getting my 1st telescope in a week or two and I am pretty excited about it and would like to go to a star party this year :) but I am a bit scared of not knowing enough and looking stupid! haha! But I also think it would be really helpful to get me on the right track with my new scope and make lots of friends :p, anyone in a similar situation? or newbies who went last year and can give me some feedback of how it went! Thanks

I think quite a few newbies are attending SGl6 this year, and dont be worried about looking stupid... I can asure you no one will think that, I have found even the most experienced people happy to answer the most basic questions :)

I'm going to SGL6 with 2 children and you cant be any more stupid than me when it comes to what's up in the nights sky.....

If the moon isn't on view I'm stuffed......and I still haven't worked out how a EQ mount works. :)

haha :)! Thanks for the advice! Yeah I am a complete novice! waiting for the book 'Turn Left at Orion' to come in stock at my local library so that I can make a start with learning the basics hee hee!

Hiya, I went to my first star party last year and had a blast (SGL5)! and I'm really looking forward to SGL6.It's a great event and loads of helpful people knocking about to lend a hand!

If you havent already, then I'd suggest downloading "stellarium" it's free and will help no end in learning the night sky!

Matt.

I'd second that. SGL5 was great and I can't wait for SGL6. It's the perfect introduction to astronomy really. I was really worried that I'd feel all out of place and awkward, or do something wrong with my scope and look foolish, but it was nothing like that. Everyone was really friendly and helpful. The talks were so useful I got so much out of just a few days and had a right laugh as well.

totally agree with the comments above. SGL'ers are a really helpful group - I have been observing for a couple of years but this is my first star party and only my second visit to a dark(er) site. I will no doubt be as lost as a total newbie when I first start observing - so many stars! BUT as others have said there's lots of people to help and guide you. We all start somewhere and there's no place better.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been to the last 2 March Kielder Starcamps and i'm very much a newbie.My knowledge is a bit on the thin side but eveyone is so keen to help you that nothings a problem. There's a wealth of knowledge at Kielder and nothing is too much for anyone. This March, even when cloudy as hell, people were advising me on the best way to The Anglers Arms.....

What a friendly bunch eh lol

At Kielder there arent any strangers.....only friends who havent yet met!

• 5 months later...

Hi Lana,

I can't believe you started this thread in March ! Where has the year gone ?

Autumn is upon us and the star party season will be in full swing. Kielder can be seen as an end to the year or the start of a new winter :D

If you've not managed to get to another party then don't delay your booking if you haven't done it yet.

Don't worry about being a newbie. The vast majority remember what it feels like and will help out. Having said that, if you've had a scope since March you can help us out :)

Dave.

Hi Lana,

I can't believe you started this thread in March ! Where has the year gone ?

Autumn is upon us and the star party season will be in full swing. Kielder can be seen as an end to the year or the start of a new winter :D

If you've not managed to get to another party then don't delay your booking if you haven't done it yet.

Don't worry about being a newbie. The vast majority remember what it feels like and will help out. Having said that, if you've had a scope since March you can help us out :)

Dave.

Epic thread revival? ;)

Archived