Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SPC900 Long-exposure mod - Instructions?

lukebl

Hi,

As I have a webcam spare, I thought I'd like to have a go at doing the LX mod, if it isn't too complicated or expensive.

The trouble is, not being very electronically minded, I just can't find a SIMPLE step-by-step guide to the process. Everyone seems goes to this site or this one, which I find unintelligible and out of date and don't even have a basic shopping list for me to hand over to the people at Maplins or wherever.

Has anyone written a simple, step-by-step instruction for a numpty like me?

Sorry Luke, that's the best I found... I must admit, I've not actually LX modded a webcam as yet... I do have a pair of 880's one to try and one to work when I get the first one wrong...

The problem with that website is that it doesn't have a tutorial or a simple shopping list, it's just a series of photographs without any real explanation! There are cross-references to Steve Chambers' site, but that one's out of date too and doesn't actually deal with the SPC900 anyway.

With the new flood of SPC880s, I'm sure there must be someone out there who has done a simple step-by-step guide, but I can't find it.

Have you looked through this thread Luke? http://stargazerslounge.com/astro-lounge/114129-pictures-taken-during-some-lx-mono-mods.html

I'll probably do mine this weekend, I'll see how useful these are to you during it :)

Thanks Roger, that looks good. Let us know how you get on. But do you have a basic shopping list of all the components and wiring that you need?

Hi,

As I have a webcam spare, I thought I'd like to have a go at doing the LX mod, if it isn't too complicated or expensive.

The trouble is, not being very electronically minded, I just can't find a SIMPLE step-by-step guide to the process. Everyone seems goes to this site or this one, which I find unintelligible and out of date and don't even have a basic shopping list for me to hand over to the people at Maplins or wherever.

Has anyone written a simple, step-by-step instruction for a numpty like me?

OK, the thing is, this mod is not an easy piece of work. It involves some intricate and delicate handling of parts and a fair bit of experience of working with electronics. No matter how easy people may say it is, it's not.

We all have our limitations. Personally I wouldn't try to mess around with what's under the bonnet in my car. I wouldn't try to repair my TV if it went wrong. If the instructions in the two websites don't make sense to you (and, having seen them, they are probably the best descriptions of what needs to be done), then this sounds like you've recognised a limit to your personal skills and it would be a better to have this work done professionally. The alternative is that you stand a very real chance of destroying the webcam you already have.

OK, the thing is, this mod is not an easy piece of work. It involves some intricate and delicate handling of parts and a fair bit of experience of working with electronics. No matter how easy people may say it is, it's not. ....

Thanks Pete. I appreciate that it's a fiddly bit of work, but it's a spare webcam, and I thought I'd give it a go. Despite calling myself a numpty, I'm not completely inept and could probably do it.

It's just that one thing missing, as I've said before, is a simple list of components which you need to do the job. can anyone direct me to such a list?

See if this is any help

Sub-Min Toggle E

FH04E

£2.49

Min Res 220R

M220R In Stock

£0.24

Min Res 10k x2

M10K In Stock

£0.48

Min Res 100k

M100K In Stock

£0.24

QX23A In Stock

£0.99

ABS Box MB5

YN40T In Stock

£5.49

Mbrd Stndoff Scrwnut

A05BJ In Stock

£2.99

Multi-Core 4-Way

XR25C In Stock

£1.69

25-Way SnapLock Hood

JW91Y In Stock

£2.19

Bell Wire Red

BL92A In Stock

£2.09

Stripboard

FL17T In Stock

£5.69

D-Range 25-Way Plug

YQ48C In Stock

£1.89

I used these to make a parallel-port LX-mod. Add some grommets and heat-shrink sleeving, to taste.

If your computer hasn't got a parallel port, and you are doing the parallel type mod, then you will also need one, or both, of these. (1st and 2nd on the page). He also does a combined package (3rd on the page).

YOU CANNOT USE A NORMAL USB TO PARALLEL ADAPTOR.

I have no experience of the serial type mod.

Steve

Thanks, Themos, for that excellent shopping list. What, with the USB-Serial stuff too, just wondering if it's worth it. Only really wanted to make a more senstive guide cam!

This really interesting! I've seen some excellent images from these webcam's LX modded. My Stella cam EX doesn't produce images as good as these webcam's.

I'm seriously taken the chance and get these webcams and try out the electrics myself. I rather risk damaging something that cost's around £20, rather than pay for a Starlight CCD which cost's around £1000 or more!!

I think one of the issues with this mod is that there are so many different ways to attempt it. There are a couple of different sets of components you can use for the basic modification as far as I can see, and then you have a choice of serial vs. parallel, and if you're really ambitious you can put the entire thing in a new box and that gives you the option of building a mini USB hub inside too so you only need a single cable to connect the entire unit to the PC.

I have *ahem* a few of these cameras and was intending to have a go at the LX mod at some point soon. When I do I'll write up some details including the parts list and instructions based on how I did it.

James

Archived