SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Possibilty of Clear Skies

junior

I have just taken a look at the weather forecast for Oxfordshire and we may get a couple of hours of clear skies tonight and then on monday tuesday next week we are forecast clear skies again.

However im sure we are all aware of how accurate a 5 day forecast is!!!!

Then i took a look at 7Timer:

apanel.php?country=UK&site=600&en&

Fingers Crossed :)

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We've had clear nights for the last two nights but the seeing and transparency were awful for both. And there was a steady breeze to cope with too. Lets hope tonight is better. :)

Transpareny may have been poor, but I'm sure it would have been more transparent than the clouds I had!

I'm hoping for a few clear days soon too....cross everything, dont buy anything new.....and dont listen to daft superstitions, it's unlucky :)

Ive got everything crossed i really want to get my scope back outside where it belongs. If i get more use out of it i will consider getting myself a 2x barlow and some new accesories.

well it's clear skies here in Stevenage, but the transparency is poor, but hey if there is a chance of seeing something after all these days of cloud cover I'm up for it. Lets hope it stays like this for tonight.

Looking good down this way, will be staying near Reading tonight, the scope is in the car and I have a free evening to star gaze......finally!

Sat24 is looking pretty promising that it will stay clear so fingers crossed that the seeing etc is ok

Just been out for 10mins and then packed up. Technically its clear, no fluffy white clouds but the mist and LP are so bad even Sirius is struggling to be seen. Personally i wish it would just cloud over proper and tip it down than tease with this rubbish. :)

Doesn't look too bad here. It's clear and scope is out cooling. Children going to bed soon so will give it a go then

Snap, and a bite to eat soon, then it's showtime.

I'm after a few more of the leo galaxies tonight, very excited, it's the first time out for seemingly months

Sorry WayBig but it's beautifully clear here. Bit wobbly but have managed to resolve the E and F components of the Trapezium so it can't be that bad.

Warming up for a little while then back out to have a look at Saturn so fingers crossed it stays clear.

Sorry WayBig but it's beautifully clear here. Bit wobbly but have managed to resolve the E and F components of the Trapezium so it can't be that bad.

Warming up for a little while then back out to have a look at Saturn so fingers crossed it stays clear.

You're further south than me...watch out, it's coming your way, dont spend too long warming up:)

Just been out for 10mins and then packed up. Technically its clear, no fluffy white clouds but the mist and LP are so bad even Sirius is struggling to be seen. Personally i wish it would just cloud over proper and tip it down than tease with this rubbish. :)

I managed an hour... the "haze" made it almost impossible to do much at all. Did manage the odd image, but only bright stars and just the core of M31 (couldn't even see it visually the LP and haze was so bad)

I managed an hour... the "haze" made it almost impossible to do much at all. Did manage the odd image, but only bright stars and just the core of M31 (couldn't even see it visually the LP and haze was so bad)

Hi Malcolm, whereabouts are you based, the haze didn't seem too bad in welwyn tonight, on Wednesday it was terrible, ok if you pointed the scope straight up, but that was all

Hi Chris, I'm just up the road in Stevenage. Straight up was fine, but I'm close to the town centre, so anything from south through to north west was in glow. Even the Pleiades's started to become lost in the glow :)

The haze was quite bad in the lower skies tonight but about half 10 saturn slowly rose out of it and i had my first amazing views of it through my 10mm EP. I wasnt expecting much but could clearly see the rings and after half or so of looking i managed to spot Titan.

I was absolutely suprised by what i could see even my Wife and Dad were impressed. We eventually came in from the cold after an hour and half of viewing. Im thinking a 2x barlow will be my next puchase!!

I have managed to get a video clip of Saturn does anyone know any software i can use to try and stack the frames and see what i get.

The haze was quite bad in the lower skies tonight but about half 10 saturn slowly rose out of it and i had my first amazing views of it through my 10mm EP. I wasnt expecting much but could clearly see the rings and after half or so of looking i managed to spot Titan.

I was absolutely suprised by what i could see even my Wife and Dad were impressed. We eventually came in from the cold after an hour and half of viewing. Im thinking a 2x barlow will be my next puchase!!

I have managed to get a video clip of Saturn does anyone know any software i can use to try and stack the frames and see what i get.

Download some software called registaxx, and search on google for some tutorials.

If your image isn't very steady i've also used some software called "castrator" to cut out just the useful bit of the avi file

I've just been out in the space behind the flats where I live. I suppose it's "clear" - I could see Arcturus and the Plough. That's about it, thanks to the light pollution. Saturn hasn't yet cleared the trees to the east (even Arcturus was only visible through the branches). Already lost Orion behind the building to the west.

I should take up stamp collecting...

Mary

Unfortunatly i havent got a clue how to use registraxx but managed to get an image out of the frames from the video i did.

However the picture does not do what it actually looked like justice as i could clearly see the rings and at one point titan.

The video was taken by holding a Fuji Film A100 digital camera to the lens.

DSCF0006_castr.bmp

Unfortunatly i havent got a clue how to use registraxx but managed to get an image out of the frames from the video i did.

However the picture does not do what it actually looked like justice as i could clearly see the rings and at one point titan.

The video was taken by holding a Fuji Film A100 digital camera to the lens.

I'm not too good at registaxx either.

It's difficult taking pictures holding a compact camera to the eyepiece....your picture looks a lot better than when I've tried doing the same thing, it's obviously Saturn, so well done.

Sky seems to have got worse here, just seems hazy. Not much point tring to see anything too faint so am just waiting for Saturn to clear the trees. It's taking ages!

Got some new ep's to try out on it!

Archived