SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Saturn Imaging Troubles

Trillian

Am trying to image saturn through my 130p with spc900 webcam in sharpcap. Can't get any image on the screen no matter what settings I am putting in.It is clearly visible in the eyepiece. Have been imaging the sun this afternoon so I know it's working. Can anyone give advice on settings I should try?:)

Probably a stupid question, but, you Did use a solar filter at all times, right? If it was removed while the camera was still connected and directed in the suns direction, it doesn't take more then maybe a sec to burn up the sensor.

I've found that the gain needs to be ramped up to see Saturn on the monitor. Plus Satrun is a teeny target, so it can be easily missed whith the web cam and swapping from EP to webcam with Saturn doesn't show the target until you are close to focus, whereas with the sun/moon, it's pretty hard to miss.

I've found that the gain needs to be ramped up to see Saturn on the monitor. Plus Satrun is a teeny target, so it can be easily missed whith the web cam and swapping from EP to webcam with Saturn doesn't show the target until you are close to focus, whereas with the sun/moon, it's pretty hard to miss.

Absolutely right ... Saturn is a different order of difficulty altogether.

Hi Trillian, try ths ..... ensure there are no filters in the way -then max out the Gain, lift up the Gamma and reduce the frame rate to something like 1/5th of a second. If Saturn is anywhere in view you'll see a horrible bleached out glob of light and possibly out of focus. Once you've got it centred, being tracked and focused then it's fairly straightforward to get the settings right. Hope this helps.

Hi Jannis- yes always use the filter and it does not come off until the scope is back in the house.

Thanks Guys. Will have another go this evening if I get the chance. It was the first time I have seen Saturn since was a kid and so I was quite excited to finally get the opportunity to image it. I had been out for a good few hours by the time it came into view (first clear night for ages) and I was freezing! Maybe needed a couple more layers and a bit more patience!!! Thanks for the tips will definately try them out.:)

Archived