Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Netbooks with Firewire - They do exist! (Sort of ...)

My main computer at home is my shiny shiny Macbook, which unfortunately Lord Jobs saw fit to remove the Firewire from. This narks somewhat as I can't use my Fujis remote control software on it. There is also the fact that I wouldn't really want to leave the precious out on the patio for hours at a time .... (So sue me, I love my Apple gear :()

Now as I didn't want to get a cheapo laptop (I like space saving) I started trawling through netbooks. Much to my horror they don't generally come with either Firewire or PCMCIA/Expresscard slots .... but I found three that do have Expresscard slots and as such can be used with an Expresscard/FireWire adaptor :)

Before I list them, I'll just point out that USB/FireWire adaptors are a waste of your money. Most software I use won't even see it, or will refuse to work with it. If you've had better experience than me, please leave a comment below!

Lenovo S10e : Please note the e on the end of it. There have been three or four revisions of this netbook (current is S10-3?) and none bar the original have the Expresscard34 slot. Check before you buy.

Apricot PicoBook Pro : Well it too has an Expresscard34 slot but I can't quite work out if the company went bust, or just didn't put these into mass production. I could not find one for sale anywhere.

Fujitsu Amilo Mini : Not much to say about this other than "Yes" it does have the Expresscard34 but availability seems to be pretty low too. This was one of the original netbooks (2008?) and I've only seen a couple around - mostly spares and repairs.

Now these things when found can be listed for as much as the newer versions are brand new! I can only advise you don't pay £250 for one of these. But if you happen to stumble across one cheap (sub £100) and want to have a play with FireWire via a netbook, these are the ones to look for.

PS : I found an S10e on fleaBay US which my aunt is bringing over for me (screw you customs!) in April for the princely sum of ..... £98 :p

Review to follow when it arrives! Hope this helps someone thinking in a similar fashion to me.

Bring back COM ports!

Lol, give netbooks more USB2 ports I say I have having to pack a hub along with all the other USB cables that I carry. My netbook only has USB2 so all 3 being USB2 would be nice and also a com port then I would be a verry happy bunny. :)

I've been told by my mate who worships Apple (I think he's an idiot...) that the reason Apple are not supporting FireWire and to a stronger extent USB3.0 is because they plan to bring out FireWire's replacement known as Thunderbolt... I don't know much more than that tho.

Dazz

I've been told by my mate who worships Apple (I think he's an idiot...) that the reason Apple are not supporting FireWire and to a stronger extent USB3.0 is because they plan to bring out FireWire's replacement known as Thunderbolt... I don't know much more than that tho.

Dazz

I just don't get Apple worshippers, I find them a more sinister organisation than microsoft, although I have some of their apple devices. I dislike the way they lock down their devices and dont support industry standards....want more user accounts on yout ipod/pad - easy, buy more devices......rant over :)

Archived