Narrowband

Hyperions - dew

mdstuart

My Hyperions both dewed up internally after bringing them in last night. So this must be a trait as both did it..

Never seen this on any other eyepiece, must be the large volume of glass...

So perhaps I need to keep them cool perhaps in a sealed box in the shed after observing rather than bringing them back inside?

Anyone else seen this? Any ideas to avoid it?

Mark

I keep eyepieces warm in a pocket till needed - never had a dew problem bringing them back inside and I have 3 Hyperions including the zoom - you can of course get dew heater strips for ep's if you intend having them on the scope for longer than 5 mins. That should help reduce internal condensation when you bring them in. :)

Outside surfaces dewing up is very normal but internal dewing shouldn't be - perhaps they've been stored in a damp environment? Try keeping them in a closed box with a fresh silica gel sachet when not in use.

Having said that, the only eyepieces that I know of which are guaranteed never to dew up internally are the Pentax XWs, which are hermetically sealed and nitrogen filled.

Mark - a thought occurs to me - have you used these without their bottom set of lenses. I was wondering if you are useing the fine tuning rings and whether perhaps during this some moisture has been trapped.

I'd suggest perhaps loosening the bottom elements (the onles that are meant to unscrew) and leaving them somewhere dry and warm to dry out.

If the moisture is in the main barrel (ie under the top part of the eyepiece) I think I;d be a bit concerned.

Thanks astro baby, the dew was in the main section but I did unscrew the bottom to check.

It did the same thing on the 17mm and 8mm which is new so I do not think there is a fault with the lenses. They are stored in a sealed box with silica Gel.

Must just have been the cold..anyway I will go with caps on in the pockets when not in use going forward!

Mark

Archived