Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Favourite "space" movies, whats yours?

GazA

Fireball XL5, I used to have one of those, catapult it up, came down on a parachute! Anyone remember Space Patrol?

ok, the topic

Apollo 13

Close Encounters

Forbidden Planet

TV - Star Trek OS, Lost in Space, did anyone see the series Defying Gravity and The Cape? Sadly both were cancelled. :)

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Silent Running, made forty years ago but with an an eco-warrior theme to it.

Still gives me chills to think of the forests wandering forever through the universe tended by Hughie, Louie and Dewey.

Dune, Forbidden Planet, This Island Earth, When Worlds Collide, War of the Worlds (1953, Tom Cruise version Meh!) 2001 and 2010, Dead Space Downfall and Aftermath thats just a few of my favourites.

Often wonder why we've never had a film adaptation of Childhoods End by Arthur C. Clarke i loved that book and still do.

Nearly forgot lets not forget the classic "Quatermass" films top scifi horror in its day

Overall I think my faves are Star Trek 2009 and Contact, but there are sooo many good'ens to pick from.

Sorry guys, I'm a hardened Trekkie, got every single episode, original series the best though. SG1 and SG Atlantis also up there, wasn't keen on the latest attempt of keeping the gate open SG Universe, mmm. !

I only got in to ST last year. Since then I've seen all Next Generation, DS9, Voyager, Enterprise and all the films. I've yet to see the original series but I will at some point. Star Trek = Awesome :)

I have most of the movies mentioned here - and a lot more besides. I've bought some of the more recent ones, the older ones were originally recorded off television (on BetaMax) and later transferred to DVD.

My all time favourite is definitely 2001. One of the few films to abandon the concept of 'down' in space. Loved it in Cinerama, when it came out at first. Loved the music. Loved the story. I don't believe there is a bad 'space film'. Even the '50s 'B' movies were so bad, they were good! (Yes, I have Plan 9 From Outer Space, Earth Vs the Flying Saucers and Devil Woman from Mars).

Looking forward to 'Cowboys and Aliens' later this year!

Aliens, Starship Troopers, Forbidden Planet, Star Wars (original), Marooned,

Silent Running (a TV movie BTW), Solaris (original), The Fifth Element, Peacekeeper War, 2001, When Worlds Collide and, of course, Serenity!

The scene in 2010 when the two spaceships are tethered together.HAL computer then gives a countdown and what follows is in my opinion the best SCFi rocket ignition ever.Especially with vol and bass right up.:p:):):)

+1 for original star wars x 3

+1 for event horizon

+ 1 for all of the Aliens films.

My step brother is to be an art director on the next Alien film which, i understand, is to be a prequel. All hush hush at the moment but it will be directed by Ridley Scott. I've been promised a day on set when it starts to be filmed but i'm not holding my breath, :)

:) Although its not clearly stated as to what the disaster is in this film, I'm pretty sure it has all the hallmarks of an asteroid hitting us...

That makes 'The Road' a great astronomy/space film. A real cheery one. Just like Armageddon.

:) Although its not clearly stated as to what the disaster is in this film, I'm pretty sure it has all the hallmarks of an asteroid hitting us...

That makes 'The Road' a great astronomy/space film. A real cheery one. Just like Armageddon.

I thought it was post nuclear holocaust, great movie - but VERY bleak!

I thought it was post nuclear holocaust, great movie - but VERY bleak!

It never really makes it clear in the book or the film. I figure a fire in the sky followed by years of dust obscuring the sun and a world covered in ash makes an asteroid a more convincing argument.

It never really makes it clear in the book or the film. I figure a fire in the sky followed by years of dust obscuring the sun and a world covered in ash makes an asteroid a more convincing argument.

I'm not sure, this site here suggests nuclear winter, but then again the writer also describes the road as "Relatively upbeat for a Cormac McCarthy yarn", so maybe I've got the wrong movie :)

In the book the only mention of the disaster is of a flash in the sky followed by a series of low concussions. Theres never any mention of radiation sickness, and nobody had any idea what happened. If it was nuclear strikes, there would have likely to have been some kind of prelude to war mentioned on the news or something.

Having read the book i always had the impression that it wasn't a man made disaster, even though the book has been held up as a warning for the global warming generation.

Archived