Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Going to look at one

I am going to look at a skywatcher explorer 130p skyscan azgoto this weekend hopefully and i was wondering what i should check and any questions to ask so i can determine if its any good

Apparently its only been used 3 times because it doesn't fit in the loft :)

Overall condition, especially the optics would be my first check (a bit of dust

is normal on mirrors) Try to find out if the electronics/go-to are working. I'd

also make sure that any internal batteries have not leaked. Accesories and

instructions all ok too.

Hope your visit to view the scope goes well, Ed.

...Apparently its only been used 3 times because it doesn't fit in the loft :)

Why would anyone keep it in a loft? You'd hardly use it if you had to lug it out every time you wanted to use it! Just wondered

It looks like new and i am sure the only used 3 times bit is correct ,all the goto bits work and the battery compartment is fine so i will be having a good look at the instruction manual tonight and maybe have a fiddle with it

Just be prepared for even more questions now

Don't they ban you for such heresy as reading an instruction manual.

Exactly. Instruction manuals are for much later in the evening after you've spent 3 hours in the dark and cold wondering why you can't get it to work.

Congrats on your purchase. I have the AZ goto mount and it is very accurate. Get your mount level (built in bubble), put in I use Stellarium to identify suitable stars at least 90 degree apart. Line up on them (I find combinations of Sirius, Rigel, Betelguese, Alkaid, Duhbe, Deneb- whichever I can see) and your in business. Goto is very accurate and once aligned the "autotracking" facility is great. I had it on Saturn last night for over 45 mins and it kept smack bang in the middle of view at 150x -200x.

I's also use a sealed 12V lead-acid battery - they don't run down in use!

Enjoy!

Thanks for the tips i will have a good look later ,i did go out a bit earlier but could not work it out properly as i could not find any of the stars you listed as they would be fantastic for me to use as well,i did know something was wrong when i pressed for orion and it whent the complete opposite way

Archived