Narrowband

M42 - Now with colour (Ha,OIII)

Uranium235

Hiya,

Last night was a bit tight in terms of imaging time, the conditions were worsening rapidly and the power socket on the CG5 has started playing up (its not the cable).

Also, I managed to pick up a really annoying halo on the brightest star (in OIII). This is probably because I added a BK31 clear filter to the nosepiece when I didnt need to (coz a frac is a closed tube so no dirt)... doh! Anyway, it was a bit late to yank it out so i just left it there.

I'll probably end up doing the OIII subs again becuase the sky conditions were'nt exactly great. Hopefully there will be some clear stuff at the weekend, so I'll update it if/when I get any more data.

M42:

ED80, Atik 314L+, 50mm finderguider

Core: 10x60 (Ha, OIII)

Outer: 5x1200 (Ha, OIII)

No calibration

Setpoint -15

Guiding hassle: Zero (no wasted subs)

Thanks for looking! :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=52437&stc=1&d=1299175117

post-18171-133877540286_thumb.jpg

Cheers guys!

Nadeem, the colour always seems to go like this on M42 when its just Ha and O3, so Ive had a little play with the blue channel and found something thats a little closer to the original colour.

Hope that looks a bit better :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=52449&stc=1&d=1299179626

post-18171-133877540306_thumb.jpg

Love the second version. Awesome image. I'm getting jealous of all these great images. I'm getting scarily close to just buying a new mount, a guide scope, and all the other stuff I need.... and to hell with my new central heating LOL

Thanks everyone :)

Though im still not happy with it, probably a few more subs are needed to clean up the outer nebulosity without having to resort to noise reduction. Must remember the ratio too, for the second version it was 1:1:1.4 (RGB).

Archived