sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

unmodded camera and nebulae

Tadakun

just curious if any of you have any idea of what nebulae an unmodded dslr can extract from the sky. I believe emission nebulae are mostly made of my HA light. So can anyone rattle off exactly which are these type?

The later Canons actually have a reasonable response un-modded you may be pleasantly surprised by whats achievable ...

looking forward to seeing more form the Barndoor :)

Billy...

I'd really like to see if I can get any of barnards loop in a photo, I just dont want to set my goals too high haha.

Tadakun - I'm still stubbornly sticking to an unmodified Canon EOS1000D at the moment. I did consider modding it myself but it looked too daunting - I may eventually get round to sending it away to get it modified.

In the meantime, here's what I've managed to do with it unmodifed - it's my latest completed image of the Rosette

(BTW - Barnard's Loop has defeated me so far - My 18-55mm lense is EFS so the LP filter won't fit with it. Skies here in Chester are too light polluted to image without it - with the right kit though it should be possible to capture it with an unmodded camera)

post-14401-133877540664_thumb.jpg

Tadakun - I'm still stubbornly sticking to an unmodified Canon EOS1000D at the moment. I did consider modding it myself but it looked too daunting - I may eventually get round to sending it away to get it modified.

In the meantime, here's what I've managed to do with it unmodifed - it's my latest completed image of the Rosette

(BTW - Barnard's Loop has defeated me so far - My 18-55mm lense is EFS so the LP filter won't fit with it. Skies here in Chester are too light polluted to image without it - with the right kit though it should be possible to capture it with an unmodded camera)

What settings and how many subs did it take to get that rosette?

Hi Tadakun:-

I took 21 x 6 minutes at ISO800. EOS Clip filter and Canon EOS 1000D - Taken through an Astrotech 66mm and guided through a Skywatcher 80mm reflector with a Meade DSI Mk1.

Stacked in Deepskystacker and processed in Adobe CS3, Pixinsight.

Regards

John

Hi Tadakun:-

I took 21 x 6 minutes at ISO800. EOS Clip filter and Canon EOS 1000D - Taken through an Astrotech 66mm and guided through a Skywatcher 80mm reflector with a Meade DSI Mk1.

Stacked in Deepskystacker and processed in Adobe CS3, Pixinsight.

Regards

John

Gotcha so it's certainly faint. A bit out of my realm since I only have a barn door tracker for the time being :)

I picked up Barnards loop, the Meissa Nebula, and the horsehead and flame with a 50mm prime lens on my unmodded 450d @ISO200. ok, it was 33 x 5 minutes, but at 50mm, I can do that unguided, you ought to be able to do something with a barn door.

orion-1.jpg

I picked up Barnards loop, the Meissa Nebula, and the horsehead and flame with a 50mm prime lens on my unmodded 450d @ISO200. ok, it was 33 x 5 minutes, but at 50mm, I can do that unguided, you ought to be able to do something with a barn door.

orion-1.jpg

Thank you, last time I shot Orion it was 2 minute subs. next time I'll bump it up to 4 minutes or so. I know that there is a max amount of time I can shoot with the barn door before I run out of thread and error starts to comes into play.

Now that's just made me green with envy :) - the very shot I would love to get. Until I can get my hands on an EF Lense that will fit with the CLS clip filter, I cannot consider this shot as LP is so awful here in Chester. My 70-300mm lense will fit with the CLS filter but just isn't wide enough to get Barnard's Loop.

Until then I'll just have to stick to my DSO stuff and admire widefields like this.:p

Interesting thread, I'm just about to try some Camera only imaging.

Sparrow, I live near Chester and finding unpolluted skies is proving very difficult, I started looking after a long break and can't believe how bad LP has become, the money being wasted (much of it ours) is crazy! I started looking at the sky in 1963, I could sit outside our suburban house with the street lights nearby and still see Ursa Minor unaided (my eyes were probably better), try doing that today even from a so-called dark site in the UK.

ll let you know if I find any good locations nearby.

Tony.