Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Well it lasted 24 hours, what scope shall i get..

Hi,

Having recently joined the forum i vowed not to ask this question, but im going to! Ive been pondering for a few weeks now on what scope to get and i just can't decide.

Initially i will want to view objects, but from looking at all the images i will at sometime want a go at that to! I have a young family so my budget isnt massive so at the moment im looking at £300 (it is my birthday afterall!)

My eyes first saw the Skywatcher 150p with the EQ3-2 mount, thats the one i thought, then i saw the Skywatcher 150pl, nice i thought... My father inlaw recently gave me an old Tasco 750mm scope this has seen better days and is damaged and ot very good, this currently lives in the living room. I showed my wife the 150pl (without the price;)) and she said blumming hell thats big where will that live! I repled the garage..

She then saw the Skywatcher Skymax 127 SupaTrak, its nice and compact but obviously not as good as the other two...(my thoughts).

So im thinking the 150p with EQ-2 and later when i want a try at imagaging (with a webcam although i have a Finepix s5600 that may be ok for imaging) i could upgrade to some motors to track..i think:confused:

Any thoughts? my budget is £300, which started at £150!!

Thanks in advance

Jay:D

This would be a good starter scope but you'll need a motorised set up for imaging as you rightly say.

If you are thinking of getting into Deep sky imaging at a later date you'll need a more substantial mount with a guide port such as the HEQ5, CG5 GT, EQ6 which you can slowly save up for. You can then transfer the telescope onto the new mount.

Carole

Remember that later on you can always sell your existing gear to fund an upgrade, so go with your choice up there ^ and make best use of that until you decide if you want more.

Thanks for the replies, i think its between the 150p and 127 Supatrak, mainly down to size issues with the 150pl.

Who knows what ill choose anyone else with opinions good or bad welocome.

Thanks

Jay

*Edit* But then i like the supatrak for its size, i know it has less power and the mount is not as good as the EQ3-2... decisions decisions

Jay,

There are two main differences between the mounts. The 127 has a motorised alt /az mount, which is fine for visula, but not really ideal for imaging as the tube can not rotate to follow the item being photographed.

I would suggest you opt for the 150P on the Eq3-2, which can be purchased for around £243. The dual axis drive for that mount is typically £90.. Ok that's £50 over your £300 budget, but you don't have to get both at the same time if it's pushing your finances. You would also be able to upgrade the mount at a later date to an EQ5 or HEQ5 should you need to if you get bitten by the imaging bug, and PX your EQ3-2 in the process.

Thanks Malc, im edging towards the 150p with Eq3-2 mount, its by far the better of the two just larger! So with the dual axis drive i will be able to track objects?

Is the 150p with the Eq3-2 ok for basic webcam images?

Thanks again

Jay

So with the dual axis drive i will be able to track objects?

Is the 150p with the Eq3-2 ok for basic webcam images?

Thanks again

Jay

In my opinion this will be fine for web cam imaging, and use with a Digital SLR camera. Like I said, if you want to take pictures through the scope then an EQ mount is the preferred option.

The whole Explorer 150 option is modular... buy the basic telescope and EQ3 combo - £243, then dual axis drives and syntrak unit - £90. If you want you can opt for goto at around £300, or replace the EQ3 for an EQ5 mount... as and when you progress. But IMO I think £334 for a driven 6" scope on a reasonable EQ mount will keep you going for many a year....

I was looking at the 200P on an HEQ5 mount with Goto.. but in the end plumped for the standard EQ5 pro goto mount and in the 3 times I've used it (only had it around a month) found it's stable and suits my needs to the ground. At this moment in time I have no plans to change the mount... It may well change in a few years time.. or possibly my enthusiasm may wain and I'll stick with what I've got...

Just my opinion, but I have a 150mm Newt (made at the same factory, I think) and in terms of size the biggest issue is the mount and tripod (okay, I have a CG-5 GT); the scope itself isn't humungus... And you need a decent mount / tripod to have any chance of DSO imaging.

I've been really happy with my purchase and have enjoyed tinkering so far (since we haven't had the weather to use it much in anger) and i've been pleased with the unguided prime focus shots I've managed on the [very few] nights when it has been clear for a bit...

The 150PL is an easier to use scope.

Collimation is not so critical, therefore you don't have to collimate as often, and you do not need to consider the more expensive eyepieces that an f/5 scope performs better with.

Archived