Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EQ-DIRECT CAT5 cable extension?

Hi,

Just wondering if there is any reason why I couldn't make up a a cable extension for the hutech-astro eq-dir module?

I noticed it is a different wiring setup than your usual network cable but if I made it the same as the hutech there shouldn't be any issues?

I am wanting to extend to about 15m prefferably.

Thanks,

Michael

USB Earl. But I plan to extend the RJ45 connection.

Michael

Not a good idea - you want to keep the RJ45 lead as short as possible as it is only carrying ttl level signals (not at all designed to go long distances). For a long run I would personally have gone for a RS232 EQDIRECT - that way you can run a long RS232 cable to the EQDIRECT (again keeping the lead to the mount short). With USB you're going to be limited to 5m unless you put in active cables / owered hubs along the way.

Chris.

Not only this but long network runs start having fun with electric currents caused by the difference in PD ground levels IIRC - hence optical is better :p

In short you could run a power cable between the two areas (ie mains) then use an ethernet over mains to connect them. That way you'll get both power and data through one connection :)

Basically the adaptors plug into the standard 3 pin mains socket and turn your power cables into a network. You then plug a standard RJ45 ethernet cable in just as you would a hub. You can add additional adaptors and plug in your internet etc without having to run a WiFi over the distance either.

The other alternative is WiFi. You can get a MatchPort board that will connect UART (TTL) to wireless with minimal power. The problem is you still have to power the mount etc..

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mate,

Yes I ended up actualy having all my usb cables from eqdir, cameras etc going into a basic unpowered usb hub next to the scope then I bought a 20m active usb repeater cable to run from the hub to the computer all seems to be well :hello2:

I had difficulties with using a powered hub at the scope initialy for some reason, also I had 2 x 10m active cables but it didn't like the 2 connected togeather so as I said I ended up with one 20m and the un-powered hub and no issues.

Handy, as I want to run everything back into the house.

HTH

Michael

NIce one...I'm just toying with a mod to provide 5vdc at the mount to power a hub but it may not be necessary going on what you've said. What type of active repeaters are you using? I've got one of these:

8m USB 2.0 Active Extension Cable Pro | Extension | USB Cables | USB & FireWire | LINDY UK

and it seems to be doing the job, for all but the bloomin' SX filterwheel which just doesn't seem to like it for some reason...I may end up having to get their manual controller! :hello2:

Anyway, I figure you're about to head out again so look after yourself and let us know what you've got planned for when you get back.

I got mine from ebay. Very pleased with the quility. £16.45 with P&P

20m USB 2.0 EXTENSION CABLE active repeater extender A on eBay (end time 26-Mar-11 17:49:07 GMT)

As I said there was some issues to begin with, just a matter of figuring out what it did and didn't like doing. In the end an unpowered cheep 4 port usb hub at the scope for everything and just the 20m active cable from that to the PC did the job nicely. :hello2:

Yes i'm back at sea just now :hello2: 4 weeks until I am home again and can get cracking on with my permenant setup.

This is as far as I have got so far with it all http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-observatories/126492-pier-pier-adapter-help.html

( bottom of page 2)

Just need the concrete plinth and a housing for it all. :hello2:

Cheers,

Michael

I know Earl, I never thought it would work out that way either. Hence I had originaly bought a good 7 port powered hub to begin with but like I said it just didn't like it at all.

Things were droping in and out and were unusable. Other things were coming up as 'unrecognised USB device' etc.

So with a few different combinations, the one I mentioned was perfect not a single issue and tested it for hours to be safe.

Well if it works it works eh? lol

Thanks,

Michael

Archived