Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What Now?

Hiya!

I'm currently using an Evostar 90 with the supplied x2 Barlow and 10mm/25mm eyepieces. I've really only used it to look at Jupiter, the Pleiades and the Orion Nebula, but in all cases the higher magnifications look a bit fuzzy.

Like many of you, I find myself with little to do at the moment but contemplate my next purchase. So, my question for all you experienced old lags is this;

What will give me most bang for my buck?

A new barlow?

New eyepieces, at 7.5 12.5 20 and 30 as suggested by the incredibly useful sticky above?

Is there any mileage in getting a better diagonal?

Any better suggestions?

All the best,

Ali

Here's a review of your scope:

http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-reviews/103301-skywatcher-evostar-90mm-review.html

Don't forget it all depends on the seeing and how well the scope is cooled down, also how high the object is in the sky. Juptier's past it's best and you'll be looking at it through more atmosphere so higher mags will suffer.

I'd invest in one or two higher quality ep's to start with - something that extends your range - maybe a low power 30mm, a medium say 15mm, and possibly an 8mm planetary.

It all depends on budget but s/h TV's (plossls or Radians) are great. I also like Hyperions and WO ep's. At the cheaper end there's TMB's which are popular but I haven't tried them yet. Meade do some very nice wide fields too.

The higher the power you go the higher the quality (and hence price) will be needed - though you have a slow focal ratio so won't need to go mad. Don't know if your scope will take a 2" diag - but worth researching cos of the extra width of field that would give you for larger dso's. The Tal 2x/3x barlows are good vfm - next step up would be the Celestron Ultima or Orion Shorty.

Good ep's are a sound investment cos you'll allways have them for future scope purchases. Hope that helps :)

Thank you for that. Eyepieces it is then!

Is TMB a brand or a type?

It's great to think that Jupiter gets even better; I was frankly amazed with it as it is now!

Ali

I've seen mention that SkysTheLimit are a good place for TMB eye pieces, and looking at their website they seem to be the cheapest.

1.25" Eyepieces

The ordering system seems a bit primitive though!

I'm also interested in TMB Planetary EP's, I have an Evostar 90 on order, and I've heard the 10mm ep provided has quite poor eye relief, the TMB's are supposed to have pretty good eyen relief so should also make observing more comfortable.

I ordered my TMB from Alan at SkysTheLimit one afternoon and had it the next morning. It may not have a fancy ordering system however, I emailed him. he told me he had it in stock and I bought it and it arrived

Unlike two things I am currently waiting for that i had no idea wasn't in stock from a much more popular retailer on here.

He also does the eyepiece try before you buy thing too whic is handy if you are unsure what you need.

Eyepiece wise I gave the 6mm TMB Planetary a run out on Saturn the night before last and was impressed enough to be considering another.

Archived