sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

Observing with/without spectacles?

I am pretty short sighted, about -8 in each eye. Having just ordered an Evostar 90 I was wondering if the range of focus will be enough to compensate for observing without glasses?

The reason I'm asking is that I read the included 10mm EP hasn't great eye relief, so may not be usable when wearing glasses, however, I'm concerned the focus range will be similar to my Revelation bins, which are at the end of the focal range when I focus on distant objects without my glasses.

Eventually I'd like to get some better EP's, with longer eye relief. I've read the TMB Planetary ones are pretty good and the price seems ok.

Telescopes have a HUGE focus range compared to binos.

Normally, the only reason to keep spectacles on during observing is to correct astigmatism at longer focal lengths - and that might not be necessary.

Indeed. But needing -8 diopters correction indicates pretty severe short sight & keeping specs on might be a Good Idea in case you can't find the wretched things when you need them again because you need your glasses on to find your glasses. A lanyard fixed to the ear pieces so you can let them dangkle round your neck whilst observing through the scope might be a good solution.

Indeed. But needing -8 diopters correction indicates pretty severe short sight & keeping specs on might be a Good Idea in case you can't find the wretched things when you need them again because you need your glasses on to find your glasses. A lanyard fixed to the ear pieces so you can let them dangkle round your neck whilst observing through the scope might be a good solution.

:) Didn't think about finding them again in the dark!

Telescopes have a HUGE focus range compared to binos.

Normally, the only reason to keep spectacles on during observing is to correct astigmatism at longer focal lengths - and that might not be necessary.

Good to know the focus range is greater. Not sure how bad my astigmatism is, I seem to remember it's only very mild, so I might be ok.

The plan is to invest in a couple of better EP's, if I find I need to keep my glasses on then this may come sooner rather than later.