Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Weather strikes again

Gary1

same for me another promising night down the tubes. must admit I am starting to be very hacked off about this I haven't been able to get out since the first week of January.

Yeah the clouds have been relentless since the first week of January.

I was also hopeful of a night viewing, I have only managed two very brief sessions in 4 weeks. As many of you say as soon as you turn your back the clouds creep in. Two disappointments tonight, my beloved football team crashing out of the FA cup and another cloudy night. Boo!

I was also hopeful of a night viewing, I have only managed two very brief sessions in 4 weeks. As many of you say as soon as you turn your back the clouds creep in. Two disappointments tonight, my beloved football team crashing out of the FA cup and another cloudy night. Boo!

Look at the bright side at least birmingham city are still in the cup:eek:

It was looking ok here at about 7pm, but when I went out after we'd eaten and the kids were in bed, cloud was starting to push in from the north-east. Still had a fair view of the sky from Cetus or thereabouts around to the head of Orion however, so I started setting up. I even parked the car to the north to act as a windbreak as far as was possible.

That was when the tow truck turned up just down the road, all lit up with flashing lights and throwing shadows hundreds of yards. Very distracting. Fortunately he moved on after about fifteen minutes, but by then the cloud was obscuring pretty much everything except to the south when I'd particularly planned to go Messier-hunting around Cassiopeia, Andromeda and Perseus. Eventually managed to find M52 and M76, having given up on M32, M74 and M110 before the visibility became even worse and I started thinking about calling it a night.

Whilst I was waiting to see if the cloud would clear someone wandered into the neighbouring field furtively flashing a huge torch about, nicely mucking about with my night vision. I think I shall take my own stupidly large torch with me next time. It did make up my mind about giving up though, which was just as well as barely a few minutes later the sheep grazing on the cricket pitch next door but one set off the security lights on the pavilion, practically lighting up the entire county.

Could have been worse though, I guess. At least I did get out.

Looks like weather-wise there's more of the same for the next few days. There were clear skies in the forecast earlier, but they've changed their minds now.

James

Lovely clear night here - apart from an hour of cloud. Unfortunately the frost got me bad - I started getting the dreaded CGE cable problem (further complicated by ST4 driving the mount nuts), then once I'd got everything running smoothly, the corrector plate frosted over. Sounds like a perfect excuse for some more shopping ;-)

Nice clear sunny skis during the afternoon and still looking clear early evening so I thought finally I'll get the chance to give the 150PL / OO 1/12PV optics project It's first light. Finished off the few things I had to do indoors and stepped outside and looked up to be greeted with wall to wall unrelenting

GREY :)

No change by midnight so I gave up. My comments wouldn't really be suitable for SGL so I'll have to leave it to your imagination. Someone please tell me that it will be clear one of these nights. :p

John

Was fairly clear during the day down here in Basingstoke Hampshire but by the evening the mist and fog rolled in a bit as well as some clouds I gave up about 11 o'clock it was -7 with the wind chill chuffing freezing

Beautiful clear night, set up my scope then went in for a cup of coffee came out half an hour later sky gone clouds everywhere aaaaaghhhh

:):mad:

We had lovely clear skies here in Shropshire :p had to pack in about 11ish though due to dew.

Archived