Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First views through 15x70's....disappointed.

Well, got some clear skies and thought would focus on Jupiter to start with.

Using my tripod I cant help but get double vision? I've tried adjusting various points but can't get them to focus. Do I have a bad pair (Revelations from FLO) or am I doing something majorly wrong.

Thanks

They may be out of collimation. You also need to play with the distance of the eye cups to get them spot on.

If you Google 'Binocular Collimation' you will find some tips to check them.

If you do have a bad pair contact FLO and they will replace. I also believe they will arrange a courier to collect them.

They may be out of collimation. You also need to play with the distance of the eye cups to get them spot on.

If you Google 'Binocular Collimation' you will find some tips to check them.

If you do have a bad pair contact FLO and they will replace. I also believe they will arrange a courier to collect them.

Thanks TAC, I'll have a read.

What level of detail should I expect from Jupiter through these?

Hi Tim

You will have to be quick in the evenings as Jupiter is not at it's best, South/West to start with and dropping rapidly i'm afraid ,try Saturn instead as the weeks go on you should just see the bulge in the rings plus thing like M31 M81 M82

Clear skies

Doug

Essex

Sorry to be negative but I had problems with the revelations 15 x 70 and I returned two pairs before I gave up on them. They seem to be very sensitive to being knocked which I suppose is fair enough considering the price . On the plus side FLO were very good at arranging a courier to return them and I'm just waiting for a refund now

Sorry to be negative but I had problems with the revelations 15 x 70 and I returned two pairs before I gave up on them. They seem to be very sensitive to being knocked which I suppose is fair enough considering the price . On the plus side FLO were very good at arranging a courier to return them and I'm just waiting for a refund now

What problems/issues did you have out of curiosity?

I got some of these bins from telescope house and sent 2 pairs back (actually I ended up keeping one pair because he said it wasn't worth spending the money to collect them) because they were out of collimation, when I looked through them I could clearly see two images, the third pair arrived in collimation so I kept them but I wasn't impressed with the views through them (lots of CA, stars were different colours when compared to the view through my scope etc.) and ended up giving them away.

To be fair though I do remember the orion nebula and the double cluster looking very nice through them.

Yeah same here - the collimation as terrible after I had focused and aligned then properly.I spent less than 5 minuted looking at sirrus and I had a terrible headache. Also when I used them in daylight the image looked very 2 D . I suppose you shouldnt expect too much from a cheap pair of binos but I 've borrowed gone a pair of Celestron 10 x 50 's and they give me some great views

Yeah same here - the collimation as terrible after I had focused and aligned then properly.I spent less than 5 minuted looking at sirrus and I had a terrible headache. Also when I used them in daylight the image looked very 2 D . I suppose you shouldnt expect too much from a cheap pair of binos but I 've borrowed gone a pair of Celestron 10 x 50 's and they give me some great views

They may be cheaper than the Celestron but they are EXACTLY the same optics! With the Celestron you are paying a third more simply for the name. It's just a pair that were knocked in transit and this could happen to any bins. FLO check them all before dispatch though. Stick with it. They're great when in collimation.

Sorry I've just noticed you were using the Celestron 10x50's. These will be easier to hand hold but won't show you quite as much as the 15x70's. I'm waiting for the Lidl 10x50's to come back in store then I'll get some of these too.

Hi Tac

Do you have it on good authority that Lidl wil be doing the 10 x 50 s again . I intend to try some more expensive 15 x 70's but I'm concerned about their portable BUT if I had a cheap pair of 10 x 50 ' s then problem solved !

So sorry you haven't had a great experience, with my I was reduced to tears when I saw the Orion Nebula as it was so beautiful.

I am disappointed to be honest, I was expecting some good things from what I've read.

Will try again tomorrow in the day light and if I don't get any luck then they'll be going back unfortunately.

Are you using a tripod with yours MrsR?

Hi Tac

Do you have it on good authority that Lidl wil be doing the 10 x 50 s again . I intend to try some more expensive 15 x 70's but I'm concerned about their portable BUT if I had a cheap pair of 10 x 50 ' s then problem solved !

Not on any authority no. But they will do them again. They seem to do them every few months. You can subscribe to their offers newsletter via the website so you'll know before they hit the stores.

Stick with the Revelation too though. Contact FLO and get a replacement. It'll be no hassle and really worth it when they are right. You will need to consider a tripod to enjoy them at their best though.

What level of detail should I expect from Jupiter through these?

As we say here: There are proper tools for jobs.

Binos excel at wide field large objects, such as M45, M44, M31, double cluster, stock 2, etc..

For planets you'll see a tiny disc without much detail, some bands at best. Thats because 15x is not that much and planets are really small.

What I did notice the first time I used my 15x70's is they do retain heat and until they cooldown the views aren't that great. I now store them in a cool place so they are always ready to go.

I also like using the kids swing set to keep them steady :)

SPACEBOY

Tried out my new 15x75 revelations tonight and wasnt expecting to much at all . After reading some posts about veiwing orion nebula i just had to look there first and i certainly wasnt disapointed with what i saw .

In my opinion £50 for a peice of equipment i can grab and go instantly veiwing sights not seen from the naked eye is bang on the money for my needs at the moment :) .

On my first ever outing with equipment i saw the orion nebula , saturn very bright and colorful with just a glimpse (i think) of the rings , and i believe two meteors all in an hour or so.

I think will be looking for a portable tripod or monopod in the very near future as i know ill probably spend some considerable time learning the night sky before i invest in a good scope

and i believe two meteors

There is a possibility the meteors might have been satellites. They are a pain for those imaging and seem to forever be coming in to view when observing. The ISS is a sight when it's at a high magnitude and some satellites seem to travel in tandem across the sky but you would almost certainly know if you have seen a meteors as they usually leave a trail behind them.

SPACEBOY

mine are the same size

i get some banding on Jupiter and the four bigger moons, you wont be disapointed

The quantum 15x70 is a very different beast, and of higher quality than the Celestron/Revelation/Omegon (I have the latter). I have yet to see banding on Jupiter with my 15x70. Moons, yes, banding, no. Remember that binoculars are not really planetary instruments. It is much better to use them on extended DSOs and the like. My views of the North America Nebula (NGC 7000) and the Magellanic clouds was absolutely stunning in the 15x70s.

Archived