SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First time out with 250px Dob

old_eyes

I have just bought a second-hand Skywatcher 250px Dobsonian to complement my imaging rig. The curse of the new gear clouds immediately struck, and for the next week there were no clear nights when I was at home. So on Sunday 27th, driven by frustration, I went out because there were some patches of clear sky between scudding clouds.

The immediate win was that I could swing it around quickly to aim at wherever the next clear patch opened up. That was fun!

So after checking out the basic performance on M45, M42 and the double cluster I went galaxy hunting. I was able to find M81 and M82, M51 (and I could clearly see the two cores), and M65 and M66. Definitely the first time I have seen these so easily. And considering I was always hurried by cloud and there was quite a lot of high wispy stuff as well as the big thick stuff, I am pretty pleased with what I could see.

All I need now is a proper clear sky and time to take a more leisurely tour. But I am convinced this is going to add another dimension to my astro-enjoyment :)

old_eyes

Hi

You just can't beat a big Dob and a star atlas 2000 to steer by:headbang:

Or just let it wander where ever the mood takes ya. You can't get lost just pull back from the eyepiece and ya home. Eeeasy astronomy. :)

Clear skies to all

Regards Steve

I recently purchased a 250px dob. too, upgrading from a 4'' with EQ mount. I have always found EQ mount hard to work.

I couldn't believe how easy the dob. was first time I used it.

Other day managed to take a photo of ISS and discovery and basically looked through the finderscope all the time, remote shutter release in one hand and tracked the ISS by hand. Could never have done it with a EQ mount :)

I moved on to an equatorial mount, and these days spend more time with it to get to know it better.

However, I sorely miss my Dob. I could star hop and scan half the sky with it in the time it now takes me just to polar align.

I moved on to an equatorial mount, and these days spend more time with it to get to know it better.

However, I sorely miss my Dob. I could star hop and scan half the sky with it in the time it now takes me just to polar align.

I'm the other way round.

For years I wouldn't consider a Dob cause of tracking, now I won't observe with an Equatorial unless someone else set it up.:)

Guess I'm just lazy :p

Regards Steve

Archived