Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar.thumb.jpg.ef4882eb5fb3610f8a68e5e6913de0e3.jpg

Grinde

NGC 1499 - California Nebula... even more narrowband

Grinde    251

Hey, sry for posting even more HST palette stuff, my 3rd in just one week of imaging. It's a rematch, 'cause last time I tried to image the California nebula, I was using my unmodded dslr & my 190MN, so I just got a starfield (not even sure I pointed the scope on it).

I think I've just seen one or two images of the California nebula in HST palette, so I decided to give it a go, using the reducer on my FSQ, making it a f/3.64 scope with 385mm focallength, but it still filled the sensor of my QSI583wsg. Here it is:

S2: 5*20min

Ha: 5*20min

O3: 6*20min

5485586078_4cd16de351_b.jpg

Ha:

5484989439_9b07679507_b.jpg

Sry it's upside down, but I thought it looked good. Thanks for watching!

ollypenrice    17,345

Oh wow, that really is glorious! Smooth, contrasty and very subtle in the colours. The cloud looks so fluffy.

Perfect seems a fair description of this. Mind you, some RGB stars would really make it perfect...

Olly

Edited by ollypenrice

starguest    14

Quite stunning! Here's me having put it into the GOTO and staring for about 3mins and seeing blackness mostly....I know, I know :)

roundycat    0

it is very rare to see this nebula in narrowband. I think I have only seen it once before. I tried it once and didn't seem to get any sulphur, this one is superb - well done.

Dennis

johnh    476

Fast ratio really works with this, contrast and colour are perfect for me.

John.

Whippy    13

That's a superb HST image, real depth and clean as a whistle. Congrats :).

Tony..

Euan    38

The false colour one is...wow

Loads of faint detail in the little black dusty sections

rfdesigner    89

Nasa spent how much on that telescope, they could just have used the narrow band filters and we'd all have been just as impressed!:)

Excellent shot... HST filters moved two more notches up the wish list.

Derek

swlloyd3    49

Simply stunning! I'm amazed at the quality of pictures on these forums.... Every day there's another WOW picture waiting :)

Ste.

Coolhandjo    13

Very nice indeed! The small chip depth of the QSI 583wsg suited the fast FL perfectly! Not under nor over sampled! The blends of colours are perfect. The focus spot on and the framing perfect! Well done indeed.