Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Binos ?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yes i have been looking at a few monopods which sounds like a great idea to balance mobility with steady veiwing . ordered my revelations tonight and looking for a cheap monopod to begin with , if i find that the veiws through the binos are more than i expect then i will definatly purchase a tripod for £70 - £100 with my total cost being £150 max , i dont think thats to much of an outlay to get started as hopefully the binos will still be useful piece of kit when i decide to go for my first scope , thanks again for all your advice

If you go the tripod route then a standard camera one will do. I got mine second hand from Jessops for £23 and it works fine. I also got a fine tuning head from the For Sale section (£18) which transformed it into a very stable alt/az manual tracking system for my Celestron 15x70's (identical to the Revs).

You can send me half the difference for saving you some reddies lol :)

Monopod wise there's a Konig one on amazon for under a tenner. It's the one I use and it works a treat. I find mounting your binos with the pan handle facing away from you works best for me. I can also view objects high up using this monopod and I'm 5'10".

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Professional-Aluminium-Camera-Monopod-Footrest/dp/B000M342TA/ref=pd_cp_ce_0

Ok my first peice of astro kit arrived today . A pair of 15x70 revalation bins , i know im not going to get the same veiws as a 200 dob but its a start and at a bargain price of £49 i cant go far wrong.

I have tried some terrestial veiwing and the collimation seems spot on (something that was worrying me from transit damage) but maybe i will get a better idea if the skies clear enough tonight for a little look .

They seem solid enough and easier to hold steady than i thought they would be , the eye relief is absolutly brilliant so comfortable to use . I have been scanning the skies now with my eyes for months now and after being unable to decide on a telescope im looking forward to get out there to get a closer look .

Thanks to all who answered my numerous questions on telescopes and about the revelations , Im sure if i have some positive experiances with the revelations i will buy a tripod as stated they can get a bit wobbly after prolonged use (my arms that is) :)

Archived