sgl_imaging_challenge_6_banner_jupiter_2021.jpg.eacb9f0c2f90fdaafda890646b3fc199.jpg

First astro pic

tyke

First ever go at web cam capture,quite happy ive got to say.

Taken Saturday 26 Feb around midnight ..bit of a breeze didnt help but im happy with the result for a first go

Thinking of getting a Tal 3x barlow to replace the SW barlow one

Please point out any things that i can inprove on (if you got all night),dont no if ive over done or under done proccessing.

post-18611-133877539283_thumb.png

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm only a beginner so I'm afraid I can't give you any practical advice but thought I'd say that, for a first go that's a really good shot, got plenty of detail in there! Very impressed, look forward to seeing what else you come up with with time!

Chears SP ,ive been reading reading reading about the phillips SPC WC and took my time trying to understand things and how they work ,focus seems to be the word what crops up time and time again, rubbish in rubbish out...i must of spent 20 mins or so just twiddling the focus,thought i had it just right then blur....lol

its the proccessing im not too sure about

Edited by tyke

an f5 scope, thats why you haven`t got the image scale, might also think about a 4x barlow as you need to get into f30 ish range for scale and a 4x will get you f20, you could also try eyepiece projection.

very good first image though

Edited by red dwalf

an f5 scope, thats why you haven`t got the image scale, might also think about a 4x barlow as you need to get into f30 ish range for scale and a 4x will get you f20

Would seeing have to be good though for 4x?

TBH if i do get either the 3x or 4x there destined only to be used for the Phillips SC900 as im thinking about the Speers Waler 8-5 mm zoom EP ,and i cant really see me using either of them on that.

In other words i dont want to be forking out for a 4x and not being able to use it often

Great image! You can use the SW 2x barlow barrel (unscrew the lens) with a 3x Tal to produce the equivalent of a 5x Barlow. Giving you the choice of 3x when seeing is average and 5x when its good. I would strongly recommend the Tal for a much sharper image well worth having.

Yes pal, the deluxe one, ive tried unscrewing the black part off in the past and couldnt do it ,just had a go now ,now knowing it should unsrew ,very tight but it s off ...think i will take this route when seeing permits ,will x3 be allright for average seeing or is it a case of try it and find out for yourself?

Yes it was a while before I realised the end screwed off lol For sure 3x would be your most used magnification and use the extension when seeing is very stable. You can also slide the webcam barrel half way out of the barlow to give a bit more mag....say 3.5-4x with a 3x barlow. Always worth experimenting with different combinations.

You don't screw off the metal part just the lens on the end. Insert 3x barlow into focuser then the SW barrel and then your webcam.

I have 2 skywatcher 2x barlows. Would that work if I put one inside the other?

Jen