Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Manok101

What do you do while observing?

Never thought of taking the iPod out there- what a good idea. Mostly I listen to the local cats trying to sneak past me to so that they can spray the house and make my kitty feel threatened. I keep a stock of tennis balls near the scope so that I can lob them and do my bit to defend the territory.

I like to listen to the sounds of the night- the steady rumble of the waterfalls, sheep moving & coughing, dogs baying on distant farms, the bark of a fox, the wind in the pine trees & heather, the odd car making its lonely way over the mountain, trans Atlantic jets far above. It's never really silent.

I have to keep an eye out for the night time creatures, one night a skunk was behind me and caught me off guard...luckly he didn't spray me.

If I am out in the middle of no-where then i'll put some rave/hardcore music on in the car and dance around like an idiot while looking down the EP. If im at home in the garden then its all quiet.

Anyone else have a rave while observing or is it just me?

I used to pogo at the eyepiece, but I stopped due to never seeing anything.

If I ever do have any music while observing it will be classical to match the majesty of the view...oh dear, how pompous dose that sound?

If I am out in the middle of no-where then i'll put some rave/hardcore music on in the car and dance around like an idiot
Oh dear, if you want to do that then please go to a night club where everyone else wants to do the same thing. Polluting a few square miles of nocturnal peace & quiet with thrash metal or electropop is a criminal offence which IMHO should be subject to summary execution. :) Edited by brianb

Just the silence for me :p.... only broken when calling my better half to come see and share what i've found, and a few wow's and amazings!! :)

When the petrol bombs have gone out and the sirens have gone, i usually listen to the world pass by. :)

I like to listen to the sounds of the night- the steady rumble of the waterfalls, sheep moving & coughing, dogs baying on distant farms, the bark of a fox, the wind in the pine trees & heather, the odd car making its lonely way over the mountain, trans Atlantic jets far above. It's never really silent.

forget the scope i want that life style!!

in comparison i get to listen to the local yobs throwing bottles up the street, the sound of car alarms and lorries passing not forgetting neighbours house alarms and the cats fighting, ocasionay above all this i hear the neighbours having a wee snigger at me!! but dont let anyone tell you Norhtampton is a hole :)

ohh i take a fishing rod with me,when i get bored of my neck cricks i sit down with the rod and a cuppa, when the cricks gone or the fish have stopped biting i get back on the scope... i'm loving my new found hobby! clear skies....

Well up to now its been a fair bit of under breath swearing, as five year old heir to throne keeps nudging scope or peering through spotter while im trying to focus on at that moment is no longer anywhere where i left it. Anyway enjoyed just pointing out and naming various things to son, with naked eye.

I listen to the wildlife while drinking copius amounts of tea and coffee but have thought about taking my mp3 player a few times. Nothing like a bit of Metallica or Rammstein while browsing the heavens.

I like the peace and quiet, but sometimes I put on the iPod(phone) and listen to Podcasts, music or radio.

Lately I've spent 50% of my observing time frantically looking around hoping to not see clouds come steam rolling over my fun! haha

But normally its quiet for me too with oohs and ahhs and found you you [removed word]'s haha

Porl''

I listen to the wildlife while drinking copius amounts of tea and coffee but have thought about taking my mp3 player a few times. Nothing like a bit of Metallica or Rammstein while browsing the heavens.

I'm a Metallica snob and don't recognise anything made after the passing of Cliff Burton :)

Andy.

hmmmmm metal heads eh.

have you tried drowning pool ? :)

that said, metallica s&m whilst looking skyward has a certain je ne sais quoi

I'm a Metallica snob and don't recognise anything made after the passing of Cliff Burton :)

Andy.

Not quite that bad but not far off the last couple of albums S&M excluded were absolute pants.

Fija

Looks like 'enjoying the silence' is winning.

Me too.

I blast ACDC etc. when i go running, listen to classical music when I'm working, but if observing....it's just me and the cosmos!

yep silence is great for me too..except every movement I make seems so LOUD! Just changing an eyepiece seems so noisy in the quiet of the night..I worry I am going to wake the neighbours!- and tonight when i tripped over the cat ".blumming thing" I shouted!, it kept running between my feet trying to get my attention when that didnt work it climbed up on the trellis doing stupid balancing acts and then it jumped up on the shed roof I know i ran out of cat food tonight so it was possibly hungry - even though i opened a tin of sardines for it and it ate half of those.. GRRRRRRR

but I do enjoy hearing the owls.!.

When I say 'silence' I actually mean the gentle whirring of my mount's gears!