SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

My first (mini) outing with my Revelation 15x70 binos

MrsR

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Have you seen the double cluster in Perseus yet MrsR?

One of my favourite sights through the bins.... Stars everywhere!!!!

Also Kemble's cascade is a nice one to look for.

Not yet but thanks I will have a look x

One of my favourite sights through the bins.... Stars everywhere!!!

And mine, whenever somebody (especially a noob) asks me too look through my binoculars I always try to show them the double cluster because if that doesn't impress them then nothing will!:)

Well it cleared a bit for me at around midnight so grabbed the laptop for stellarium and my binos and set up in my backgarden.

Well it really isn't that easy to find things is it - I found that I would locate something with my naked eye then look through the binos and hundreds of other stars would appear so would take me ages to refind where I was originally looking! lol

I find it helps to keep looking at the object as you bring the binocs up over your eyes. Either that or I have to remember a pattern of half a dozen stars from a star map or stellarium and look for the pattern. Or do a star hop.

The other idea is to know exactly where it is buy imagining a straight line between two bright stars and estimating how far along the line the object is from one end, and then wether above or below the line.

E.g. the Beehive cluster is just above a line between beetlegeuse and regulus between a third and half way along from regulus :)

(it really starts making you learn what stuffs called and where it is too lol)

Hi MrsR

I have recently become interested in this great hobby and I saw somewhere that the advice to newbies is to use binos and not buy a scope for a while. I have 10 x50s but I haven't tried to use them as I didn't want to be disappointed but I'll give it a go tonight.

Thanks for your post

Phil

Hi MrsR, I had my bins for a year before I got a scope in jan this year. I totally agree that learning the sky first is the way forward.

I also struggled finding stuff at first but after a short while you'll get used to holding your bins at the same angle each time you use them and it'll get easier and even more fun!

Archived