Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My first (mini) outing with my Revelation 15x70 binos

MrsR

OK so my twins were in bed and the sky was semi clear so my husband agreed to listen out for them while I ran out before it clouded over with my new binos for the first time.

I locked straight onto Orion and found the belt - wow so bright, I moved down to the Great Orion Nebula and stopped, I pulled the binos away to double check what I was seeing as thought I'd moved too far away. I looked through the binos again and :) omg my eyes filled with tears, no way :( - I could see the Great Orion Nebula. WOW.

The cloud quickly came over sadly but I was blown away with what I could actually see - no way did I think I would see so much with just binos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brantuk I never imagined they were that good though.

LOL I will try not to cry but OMG I was so amazed - so beautiful when you see it through your own eyes - think a lot of cryign will be done by me lol

LOL - I'll bring a box of tissues to the next gathering. I'll also bring the Celestron 15x70's and we can do a comparison. Virtually the same binocs as far as I'm aware.

Just wait till you see Saturn in a scope - you're gonna flip :)

Thats great MrsR, only takes one view on an object like M42 to show the appeal of bins :( as Brantuk says, wait till you see Saturn, a truely outstanding sight! :)

I just couldn't believe the detail I could actually see!

Great to hear that you have had a first outing. There is some good weather on the way - Thursday and Sunday nights are forcast to be clear.

Hopefully I will be out there with my new revelations as well. :)

Rgds

Rob

glad you liked what you saw!

M42 is a sight to behold, especially your first time. i still keep going back to it.

and as has been said wait till you see saturn. i'm still waiting to get a look through my 250.

you'll be wanting a 16"dob soon then?

Rob have you got them yet or just ordered them?

Mark I will have to wait till my 40th in November till I can get a scope so will be finding my way round the night sky with binos till then but yes a nice scope is wanted lol

Roger hopefully the clouds will part for you too very soon. I bet you are chomping at the bit, I know I was and I don't even have a scope yet.

Brantuk I went for the Plieades next but the cloud beat me to it.

I am just so glad I ran out when I did.

I have tons of notes from my lectures but thought best to run out quickly and leave the notes and the laptop for Stellarium for now just incase it clouds over and so glad I did as I would have missed my mini mini window.

I did try earlier to have a look at Jupiter through the window before my girls went to bed but with 22 month old twins pulling at each leg stability wasn't good and Jupiter was bouncing round like a bumbble so I gave up!

I did try earlier to have a look at Jupiter through the window before my girls went to bed but with 22 month old twins pulling at each leg stability wasn't good and Jupiter was bouncing round like a bumbble so I gave up!
:( well their not going to help with steady views :)

Congratulation on your first view of the heavens you are not the first to shed a tear :( over something so beautiful, that is the passion of this hobby for some it becomes more then a hobby:D

and costs a arm and a leg ( I must state, I don't condone selling body parts to buy a scopes eyepieces ect):) but now you've had a taste I would say there is no turning back for you:)

Clear skies

Doug

Essex

Congrats on the first light MrsR....I felt exactly the same when I first looked at M42 through my bins.

I prefer viewing the night sky with binoculars tbh and 15x70 just seems to be the right compromise between aperture and magnification.

Can't wait to hear your next report.

I got my 15x70 Revelations yesterday (from FLO) with the redsnapper 3way tripod. Didnt really get chance to check them out last night due to cloud, but how do you find they focus etc when purely handheld (i.e. not mounted)?

Nice one MrsR, who needs a big scope when you've got the best 'grab and go' with a decent pair of bins. After all the Orion Nebula is only about 1,500 light years away (I think) and you've had a WOW moment with a modest piece of kit.

Enjoy...

Cheers

Neil

I got my 15x70 Revelations yesterday (from FLO) with the redsnapper 3way tripod. Didnt really get chance to check them out last night due to cloud, but how do you find they focus etc when purely handheld (i.e. not mounted)?

I find that I do need to lean on something if I am having a detailed look at something.

It's an amazing sight isn't it?! :)

I just got some 10x50's and seeing the Orion nebula so clearly really got my heart pounding.. I could barely see the sword with the naked eye but even with standard bino's it was sooo bright!

I think you and I will probably have some very similar experiences over the next few months!!

It's an amazing sight isn't it?! :)

I just got some 10x50's and seeing the Orion nebula so clearly really got my heart pounding.. I could barely see the sword with the naked eye but even with standard bino's it was sooo bright!

I think you and I will probably have some very similar experiences over the next few months!!

Keep me updated then with what you see, etc

Archived