Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Green light for observatory

chouet

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That picture really needs a lightsaber in it :)

Lovely looking obsy, I particularly like your choice of software for designing the plans :(

Google Sketchup is, "Impressive, most impressive."

I'm hoping the Pod will arrive next week- can't wait!

The Pod arrived this morning! Can't wait to get started.

I'm putting 4 double sockets in - is there any advantage having mains power at the pier itself, or does everyone find it adequate / better to have all sockets at the perimeter?

Nick

If anything on the pier/mount/scope is mains powered, then put sockets on the pier. This could be the mount itself, cameras, a powered USB hub, dew heaters and lots of other things.

The last thing you want is wires lying around on the floor in total darkness. Tripping over a cable can ruin your night or, even worse, your equipment.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the Pod's nearing completion. It took less than a day to build the structure, but a lot longer to decide on layout and fittings.

It's a real joy to use - feels like I'm on a Star Wars set!

Thanks everyone for all the advice so far.

nickspodbuild4.jpg

nickspodbuild8.jpg

nickspodbuild10.jpg

nickspodbuild13.jpg

nickspodbuild14.jpg

Looking good.

You have a good choice of colour :D

Dave

Psh! White's where it's at!

I wonder if different factions of POD owners will emerge over time; people arguing over the pros/cons of the different colours.

I think I mentioned that I was going for the Arecibo look with my white dome. That much of my plan isworking - there is already a nice little layer of muddy algae stuff on the flange. I'll probably get told to clean it, but it looks very cool.

Also, I'm amazed at the way the white plastic attracts insects, and makes them more noticeable. I've seen more different types of bugs climbing around my my POD than I ever have before in our garden. So with luck, my dome will help my macro photography, too!

Archived