1825338873_SNRPN2021banner.jpg.68bf12c7791f26559c66cf7bce79fe3d.jpg

New EQ5 Mount questions ??

RICHJ

Hi all, I reieved my sparkling new SW200p and Eq5 mount yesterday :)

I have it all built up and ready to rock but have a few questions.

It says in the instructions to balance the scope at 20-30 degrees but it won't go below 30 ??

I have 3 places to put the push on knob/adjusters but only 2 knobs, is this right ?

The controls are on the opposite side to the eyepiece, have I done something wrong ?

Thanks

Rich

It says in the instructions to balance the scope at 20-30 degrees but it won't go below 30 ??

They mean those degree figures as being the latitude - your position N or S of the equator. There are 2 shiny bolts opposite each other at the base of the mount. You need to unscrew one while tighten the other to get the mark at the scale for your own latitiude. It should go furtherdown in fact.

As it is, it's better to get to your latitude position on the mount and then put the scope onto it and do the balance.

I have 3 places to put the push on knob/adjusters but only 2 knobs, is this right ?

Are these the DEC and RA adjust knobs? The DEC and RA adjusts have little shafts with a "flat" on them for the knob screw to grip. The shaft might extend to one side or both of its housing. If one extends both sides that would give you 3 places.

The controls are on the opposite side to the eyepiece, have I done something wrong ?

Which controls?

With the c-weight shaft pointing down parallel to the tripod leg with the 'N' mark, and that leg facing North, you stand facing scope with your left side towards North. The RA clutch lever (knob) will probably be on the opposite side but you should have easy access to the DEC clutch and the 2 positional knobs.

Edited by starguest

They mean those degree figures as being the latitude - your position N or S of the equator. There are 2 shiny bolts opposite each other at the base of the mount. You need to unscrew one while tighten the other to get the mark at the scale for your own latitiude. It should go furtherdown in fact.

As it is, it's better to get to your latitude position on the mount and then put the scope onto it and do the balance.

Are these the DEC and RA adjust knobs? The DEC and RA adjusts have little shafts with a "flat" on them for the knob screw to grip. The shaft might extend to one side or both of its housing. If one extends both sides that would give you 3 places.

Which controls?

With the c-weight shaft pointing down parallel to the tripod leg with the 'N' mark, and that leg facing North, you stand facing scope with your left side towards North. The RA clutch lever (knob) will probably be on the opposite side but you should have easy access to the DEC clutch and the 2 positional knobs.

Thanks for the pointers Starguest I'll have a little play again tonight and see how I get on.

R.e. the the Dec control, yes the shaft goes all the way through giving you two end. Should I have a knob to go on each of them ?

Rich,

I think we spoke the other day - I took delivery of the same setup this week and have had a few worries with the mount set up, the instructuion book seems to miss a couple of things out and leaves you wondering if you have done things correctly.

I still haven't figured out the altitude t-locks, mine won't go past 38 degrees atm.

Try this link, someone else posted it and I found it very useful.

Setting Up an Equatorial Mount - McWiki

Hope it helps.