SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Noisy M51 from SC3 modded webcam

airprox

Well, another wee bash tonight, this time M51 had just cleared the rooves. Not up there with the other offerings posted recently, but once again, I'm quite pleased.

ST120, SPC900NC modded to SC3, 20x30sec exposures... no darks, once again roughly thrown at regisatx, pieces picked up and put through GIMP to be overprocessed ;-) Still reading up on processing!

post-24165-133877538948_thumb.jpg

Thanks chaps! I think if I work on my set up a bit (polar alignment etc) I should be able to increase the exposure times to bring down the noise... as I say, I also need to learn quite a bit about processing! You're comments are much appreciated, and are very encouraging.

Cheers

Alun

Thanks for the advice chaps, still working my way through the DSS manual, and some tutorials for processing, so I hope to revisit these images in the very near furture. As for more exposures... oh yes indeed! As the year progresses M51 will rise above the roof earlier giving me more time to image it... I just got to the point last night that it was too darn cold! I know... I'm a wimp ;-)

Cheers

Alun

EDIT: just realised it was you Brian, taking your other advice too!

You don't see many images with modified webcams much therse days.

I tried M51 with a SC1 ToUcam a few years ago but didn't get as good a result as that. Darks will really help and you'll lose the glow int he corner...

Keep going at it- the more the better!

Ant

Archived