Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

TV 85 vs OS 80

Went into Wide Screen Centre to discuss Televue 85. My concern was the age of the design. My mind was put at ease that this is still a high quality scope but I was also shown the Officina Stellare APO 80. It is lighter and equally beautiful

What are the pros and cons between these two?

Well I haven't owned a TV85 I used to have an A&M 80/600 APO .The company has only just re-named themselves Officina Stellare. Amazing build quality throughout and built to a standard rather than a price. They are often referred to as the Ferrari of telescopes, and having owned one that's not hyperbole.

I did have a WO Lomo 80 before that, but the A&M 80 was so far ahead both optically and in build quality that it would be unfair to compare the two,

Why o why did I ever sell it. :)

John

I've just been looking at the OS website. There are some beautiful pieces of engineering there. Are they one of those "if you need to ask the price you can't afford it" type things?

I might have to go for a cold shower...

James

Both are great scopes but the OS will certainly have the edge in colour correction, being a triplet. I found the very slight fringing in the TV85 to be annoying in a scope of its price and bought an SV80 / 480 instead.

It has the same objective as the OS 'Hiper 80' (unless you go for the 600mm version).

The 80/480 LOMO glass used in the SV and OS is widely thought to be the best 80mm ever made. I'd agree!! Views are amazing.

The lens is constructed from OK4 glass sourced from LZOS. OK4 is the Russian equivalent of FPL53. Its also avail. from APM in various tubes if you want to keep the cost down - tho' I'm not sure how much you'd really save.

Get the OS!

I've just been looking at the OS website. There are some beautiful pieces of engineering there. Are they one of those "if you need to ask the price you can't afford it" type things?

I might have to go for a cold shower...

James

They're certainly not cheap. but not ridiculous in the smaller apertures.

The 80 mm works out to about £2,000.00

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/de/info/p3994_.html

John

Both are great scopes but the OS will certainly have the edge in colour correction, being a triplet. I found the very slight fringing in the TV85 to be annoying in a scope of its price and bought an SV80 / 480 instead.

It has the same objective as the OS 'Hiper 80' (unless you go for the 600mm version).

The 80/480 LOMO glass used in the SV and OS is widely thought to be the best 80mm ever made. I'd agree!! Views are amazing.

The lens is constructed from OK4 glass sourced from LZOS. OK4 is the Russian equivalent of FPL53. Its also avail. from APM in various tubes if you want to keep the cost down - tho' I'm not sure how much you'd really save.

Get the OS!

The one I had did have the LZOS lens and as you say the views were amazing.

Why was I such an idiot to sell it for something bigger :):(:(

John

Thanks everyone, looks like its the Officina Stellare. Now to decide on the eyepieces :-)

With it being f=480mm should I not worry about higher magnification and just enjoy widefield views of DSO's? What is the shortest focal length eyepiece that would work?

Thanks everyone, looks like its the Officina Stellare. Now to decide on the eyepieces :-)

With it being f=480mm should I not worry about higher magnification and just enjoy widefield views of DSO's? What is the shortest focal length eyepiece that would work?

I used a Nagler 3-6 zoom with the 80/480 and it worked very well. I also tried a Nagler 2-4 zoom, but found I rarely used it at the 2 setting except on lunar oserving. I think the Televue 3.7 SX Ethos would be excellent. I've got one now and it's great for high power observing.

John

The mount is absolutely rock solid and simplicity itself.

I have the added SkyTour computer push to fitted which does make it even bulkier but the friction brakes are easy to adjust and the motion is smooth.

Of course there is no slow motion controls which can be an issue for some people but I really don't mind too much.

I had a Vixen Porta before which had slow motion but always felt it could blow over in a good Scottish breeze, the Gib will never do that!!

Cheers

• 1 year later...

Sorry to dig up a year old thread.

I've been given the green light from the better half to go (big) birthday shopping :-)

As in the original post, I am also contemplating between the TV-85 and the OS Hiper 80.

Basically, I want a scope to complement my LX90 and want something small enough and light enough for travel and as a grab-n-go. I know we are talking small apertures here but I would like to be able to see as much as possible, particularly as many Messiers as I can.

I'm a bit of a quality freak at times so would like top quality optically and mechanically.

Additionally, in the future, inspired by others here, I would like to get into astrophotography - nebulae mainly. And need something that could produce good quality images with a flattener / reducer.

I'm asking a lot I know. But it is a lot of money.

Hoping for some advice and guidance from anyone

TV-85 = 600mm fl, f7 Doublet

Hiper80 = 480mm fl, f6 Triplet

If you can afford it, I don't think you can go wrong with a Hiper 80 assuming it still uses Lomo objectives. Lomo stop making them a while ago and all the new scopes are made from remaining stock pile.

TMB/APM seems to have ran out a while ago and Stellarvue no longer list the Lomo option on their site. OS site describe the objective of the Hiper 80 as 'Super Apo Triplet', rather than 'OK4 Triplet APO' in the case of all other OS Hiper APO with LZOS glass so it is possible the lens has changed.

Archived