Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Buying a scope second hand

Hi,

I am new to scopes but that seems expensive for 114mm aperture. I have googled the make and I cant really find that much.

I am still in the process of choosing a scope myself. The rule seems to be that aperture is king so the bigger the better. I have ruled out 114mm long ago but you can get a skywatcher 114mm with a parabolic mirror for £119 with tripod and lenses, also 12 month guarantee.

How much is the one your looking at for sale for? and whats your budget.

Personally I am looking at the 130P EQ2 at £155, though members on here suggest that I go for the 150P as the aperture is bigger and it is a much better scope at £239

All these on FLO Reflectors

130mm will give you 30% more light gathering capability meaning you will be able to see much more. Planets and Deep Space Objects (DSO's)

If I where you I would consider a new Skywatcher or get to 50 posts and one months membership on this forum and you will be able to access the For sale section. I have been told that starter scopes are always on there as other members upgrade to better bigger kit.

hope this helps

thanks for the advice he's looking for £ 100 but says the scope is worth £ 300. I know that the Sky Watchers arent much more than this . The one thing that puts me off is the fact that I cant see anything about this on the net , I suppose it could have been badged differently and then discounted.

In 2 minds now about this TBH

Well, whatever he says it's not worth £300. I realise he's not asking that.

It's possible that this scope could be a short tube version that achieves

the 1000mm focal length with extra lenses in the focuser or next to the

secondary. It's easy to spot, as the tube will obviously much shorter than

the 1000mm would suggest. If it is, I'm sorry, but I do think I'd pay a bit more

for something new.

Best regards, Ed.

Take a small maglite with you.

1. Shine light in both ends and inspect the optics from the end you're shining light in.

2. Shine light through the scope from both directions and inspect the optics from the other end (not torch end)

3. Focus on remote target (in daylight if possible) and check using your eyepiece (after all it will be used with your EPs).

If there's any oddities then reject it unless your positive it's just dust.

I know the secondhand Pentax's optics I bought SH need a clean and I'd look at dry N2 purging the spaces between the lenses as I've noted condensation on the inside of the second set of lenses (ie the lens just before it gets to the focuser, probably someone used a bit of cleaning deionised water but didn't dry it correctly as the water can seep through the lens cell). Not terminal but it will need attention. In the mean time dew heaters will help prevent it occurring.

Guys, please be warned about excessive posting in the Welcome section, or anywhere else for that matter. The 50 post rule and one month membership was introduced for a good reason, and exploiting the Welcome board is frowned on by Admin. and may well result in a loss of post count if anyone is deemed to be guilty of that behaviour. 50 posts is an easy target over one month, but not overnight :) .

Ron.

wise move Thunderbird ;-)

You will soon get 50 posts in one month if you say hello to everyone in the newcomers section.

Good luck. I personally not sure I can wait for my month to pass so may end up buy new from FLO!

your halfway already:D

Archived